Tuesday, March 4, 2008

This Day in Sports



For the next thirty years of my life I will never ever forget the day of March 4th. This day marks the day that the great Brett Favre after 17 years will be retiring from the game of football after one of the greatest seasons of his career. All season Favre reminded us of how special he truly was in his younger years and made us all believers again of his talents. My brother Billy, who is a Green Bay Packers fan, but a Brett Favre fan first will sorely miss the future Hall of Famer and I really don't know how he can cope with continuing to be a Packers fan. Favre was always a true American hero in the eyes of many. He was always looked as a hard working blue-collar guy with faults like the rest of us and over coming those negatives. I really had no thought that he would retire after this season, but that is Favre. He left on his terms when people thought that he was done he proved us wrong by coming back and when we thought that he had a couple more seasons left in him he packs it in. Now I believe that the Green Bay Packers have a long road ahead of them, it's never the next guy or the second guy that comes in to replace a legend that works, it's usually like the third. Aaron Rodgers is certainly not the guy in my eyes but he showed some signs last year when he came in for Favre in the Dallas Cowboys game. Favre you were one in a million and certainly will be missed on the field.







Another reason to remember this today is that this is the day 18 years ago when the late great Hank Gathers, of Loyola Marymount University, died on the basketball court verses the University of Portland in the West Coast Conference Tournament semi-finals. Subsequently, the remainder of the tournament was canceled and the NCAA rewarded Loyola Marymount with a tournament birth for winning the regular season conference title, they ended up being an 11th seed. On a positive note for that season for the Lions the rest of that season, the team came together with Bo Kimble and made a run to the Elite Eight and lost to the eventual national champ in UNLV. Kimble, a close friend of Gathers, tributed to him during the tournament by shooting his first foul shot in each game left handed. Gathers who was a right handed shooter, could not make his foul shots righty so he started to try doing it lefty and was more successful at it so he stuck to it. Kimble, also a righty, made all his left handed free throws that he shot in the tourney. Even at the age of 12 at the time of his death, I still remember watching the game on television when he collapsed, watching LMU's magically ride to the Elite Eight, and I still get goose bumps to this day when I see clips of Kimble shooting lefty in the NCAAs. Dying at the young age of 23, Gathers was considered at the time as one of the more dominating players in college basketball during his tenure.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I drove home from class, I was listening to the Herd on ESPN Radio and found out that Brett Favre had retired. He spoke to both Coach McCarthy and Ted Thompson to tell them he was just tired and it was time to pack it in. What Cowherd said next is the truth. You can't replace a legend. They haven't done it in Denver and Miami, Rodgers won't be the guy to do it in GB. Favre was truly everybody's hero who is a fan of the tough guy who played through injury, was stubborn enough to battle through when everyone thought he was washed up and truly enjoyed the game for what it was, a game. He is in with a small group no matter how good or bad that they may have been, they were great men. He fits right in with Ripken, Yzerman and Russell. The league will move on but it won't be the same without him. Hopefully, Peyton won't retire anytime soon because Indianapolis will completely crumble.

Anonymous said...

Will I go now that Favre has left? First off I think it would not only be an insult to Favre but the game itself if I decided not to watch Green Bay or the NFL in general. I'm very grateful to have been able to watch the game during the time that Favre played for Green Bay. Let's face it in my youth I could give a crap about sports. But watching those games made me want to more about the team that was growing on me. I don't think any other francise could have drawn me in like the Packers had. I mean "the ice bowl" "curly lambeau" "reggie white" and the Great "Vince Lombardi". The way Favre played the game brought me to the team. But how much of NFL's history is based with this great team is why I'll stay in Green Bay for the rest of my life. God Bless Brett Favre for all the good he done. And Thank you for all the great memories.

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt in my mind the Packers are going to pursue a quarterback first round. Rodgers may be good, but I would feel uncomfortable handing the keys right over to him. In my mind they could be sitting on Joe Flacco and shouldn't hesitate to get him. Believe the hype, he IS the best quarterback in the draft and will be a productive NFL QB given the right situation.

Shorty said...

Brett Favre is a chronic bed-wetter...poor tipper...alcoholic...pill popper...bigot...and the most overrated quarterback in history...

Most Interceptions Thrown in the history of the NFL...way to go Brett!

Anonymous said...

okay the other stuff maybe true. But, a chronic bed-wetter. come-on.

Anonymous said...

how many rings does dan marino have?

Shorty said...

He still has the one from Ace Ventura and it would have been tw if not for that damn Ray Finkle!

deez said...

sure blame it on finkle! "laces out dan!!!"

Anonymous said...

Hey lets not talk about chronic bed wetters, there have been some who run in our circle that have had tough nights getting to the bathroom in time. On another note, is INTs the only thing you can really hang on Favre. You can argue most yards, completions, attempts and TDs due to the length of time he was in the game but you can't argue 3 MVPs. No one has ever done that. Not even Dan Marino.

Anonymous said...

Trivia question that will win you money in a bar ten years from now. Q:Who caught Brett Favre's last pass?
A:Corey Webster(NYG)

-Mif

deez said...

i guess that nobody really cared about my gathers write up huh? i think that this is the most comments ever on my blog!

Anonymous said...

sorry bro. I for one am anti-basketball (well, duh). And as "overated" as Brett Favre is his retirement kindof over-shadowed all of sports. Did you want more than 4 hrs of ESPN the other day. I'd say yesterday was the most of ESPN I've ever watched. In the 4 hrs straight I watch it they maybe covered 15mins of other sports it seemed. Did they even mention Gathers at all yesterday. I hope so. If they did I didn't see it.

Anonymous said...

Better movie quote:
"Havin' a little trouble with the ladies, Ace?"

or

"I'm in town to play the Dolphins, dumbass."