Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bubble Watchin'


I won't say I told you so about the Maryland/Clemson game on Sunday night, but...I TOLD YOU SO!!! What a great game! And, after Clemson's dramatic 20 point comeback in College Park they, in my opinion, are a lock now to get into the NCAA tourney. While other teams like West Virginia (beat Pittsburgh) and Ohio State (beat Purdue) are doing their job by winning big games late in the year to impress the committee, others aren't doing such a good job. As of today, March 6th, I am giving you my bubble watch of some popular teams that I believe are in or out. Don't be shy to voice your opinion on these teams.


SYRACUSE - Well, the committee can't say that the Orangemen didn't have a tough enough schedule this year. But, they will say that their quality of wins have gone south as they have only won 2 of their last 7 games. Cuse will have to beat Marquette at home Saturday as well as I believe at least 2 wins in the Big East Tournament. As of right now Cuse is out in my book, but you never know with ranking 12th in strength of schedule in the nation and a couple of wins in their conference tourney...well, the committee has done some crazier things in the past.


OHIO STATE - The Buckeyes finally got a quality win verses Purdue the other night but was that enough. They are 1-9 verses the RPI's top 50. 1-9!!! Their quality non-conference wins are against Syracuse and Florida both who might not even get in. As much as I want to see the Big Ten get more teams in, it's not going to happen for the Buckeyes. They have Michigan State at home and could possibly face them again in the quarters of the Big Ten tourney. Sorry Ohio State fans not going to happen.


KANSAS STATE - Finally stopped their losing streak at 4 against Colorado Tuesday. Of the big non-conference games ND, Oregon, George Mason, Xavier, and Cal; Cal was the only team that they beat. It never hurts beating Kansas and with a win verses Iowa State Saturday they will finish third in the Big 12 and a first round bye in the Big 12 tourney. Today I would say no, but I think that they will win Saturday and their first game in the conference tourney and if they do that they are sure to get in.


USC - With Cal tonight and Stanford on Saturday both at home, all they need to do is win one of these games to get in. One of the RPI's best conference is the Pac-10 and to not invite the league's 4th place team would be a crime. The Trojans don't have to may quality wins but playing in this conference is not easy. Their best non-conference wins come against Oklahoma, Miami (OH), and Southern Illinois. If they could have pulled out the four point losses to Kansas or Memphis we wouldn't be having any conversation. Today the Trojans are in and it won't hurt pulling out a game or two before the season is over.


ARIZONA - The toughest team to talk about at this moment in time. Only 16-12 with the nation's #1 strength of schedule. 7-9 in the Pac-10 and 10-10 against the RPI's top 100 as of today. With Oregon and Oregon State still left on the regular season schedule they must, must win both games to seal a spot. One loss to either of these teams and the Wildcats are done. Their best non-conference wins are against Texas A&M, Houston, and UNLV. And A&M isn't really helping them out with that right now. Zona is in today but like I said 1 loss before the conference tourney and their on to the NITs.


KENTUCKY - Unfortunately I was telling the Pitbull that I hate Kentucky more and more everyday. I even went as far as saying at this point in time I hate Kentucky more than UCONN. I was reading their resume and I gotta say that they still have a chance but I really don't know how. Their side is that they are 11-4 in the SEC that is currently third place overall in the conference. Winners of five of their last six and could of pulled off the Tennessee game if it was for them folding in the end. Now my side, they have no quality wins on their non-conference schedule, unless of course you want to say that Stony Brook and Florida International were good wins. That's it they lost to UAB at home, San Diego at home, and let's not forget the great Gardner-Webb team that embarrassed them at home. They also lost to Houston, Indiana, and Louisville when Louisville wasn't that healthy yet. Sorry I am kicking them to the curb will have to impress me in their conference tourney but I doubt I will be impressed.

No comments: