Monday, March 24, 2008

NCAA 1st and 2nd Round Recap


I only missed the 12 o'clock games on Thursday, that was all. To say that I have been stuck to my couch for three straight days is a great assumption. I haven't done a thing since I got home on Thursday except watch great basketball and ton of drama that I am glad we can get a break until this Thursday so that I can be filled with more awesome NCAA basketball drama. Of course the young man that has really stitched his name in NCAA tournament history has been Stephen Curry of Davidson. Most players that score 30 and 25 in two games would be given great publicity, Curry has done that in two second halves of basketball. Scoring a total of 40 and 30 in the upsets over Gonzaga and Georgetown has really put the Curry name back on the map, since his father Del a NBA journeyman. The elder Curry use to be one of the great pure shooters in the NBA during his time and you can see that his shooting talents has transferred over to his son. All the number one seeds have moved on to the Sweet Sixteen which is really of no one's surprise, but I really haven't found too many teams that have really showed us pure dominance. North Carolina, Kansas, Texas, Wisconsin, and Louisville in my opinion have been playing the best ball for the two games that the teams have played. The most surprising teams thus far in the '08 tourney have been of course Davidson, as well as Western Kentucky, Villanova, and West Virginia. The most disappointing teams that I have seen have been UCONN, Duke, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Clemson. A couple of things have bothered me during and after the fun filled weekend. One is the talks this Monday morning about the whistle happy referees. Having played the game of basketball at the high school level and played in rivalry and tournament games the whistles must be blown! While your playing the intensity level is very, very high and I believe that if the refs don't keep the game in check, that will lose control of a very important game. I think what referees should do is call the fouls early in the game to let the players adjust to your calls so they can play at a physical level that is under control. The games overall have been called fine. I admit though that some of the games have been terribly officiated with ticky tak fouls late in the game that has fouled out key players and have changed the flow late. Also, another point that I was thinking about was how in the world in this day in college basketball can you say that one conference is better than another when it comes to the big time conferences. The ACC and SEC have only one team left of the overall 16 while both conferences were in the top 4 in RPI this season. While the Big East and the PAC-10, the top 2 RPI conferences, who has the most in 3 left, but the Big East put in 8 teams this season. I really don't think that you can ever really say that one conference is ever better than the others when it comes to the big time conferences. I mean the Big Ten, who has two left out of 4 has been down played all season as the weaker of the major conferences and the conference champ during the regular season and conference tourney in Wisconsin ended up being a 3 seed! While Duke was given a 2 seed and they didn't even reach their conference championship. Is it that there is just too much parity in college basketball that we really can't determine which is the top conference of the year? Or is it that we just tend to overlook the conferences that we really don't get a chance to see enough? Either way this season I have watched more college basketball than ever, and I don't think that parity is the word that I would use to describe why I have watched so much of different conference games. The word I would probably use is...balance. Coming up later this week I'll be giving you my matchup reviews for the weekend games. Enjoy!

No comments: