Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday's Sweet Sixteen Games


Before I get into tonight's games I would like to comment on what I learned watching the games til 1 o'clock from my couch. Number 1, I really think that Bruce Pearl might be one of the most overrated coaches in the college game today. As much as I dislike Jim Calhoun, and think that he is a great strategy pre game coach, but a bad game coach, at least he makes adjustments at halftime during games. Pearl did not do anything different in the second half of his game with Louisville last night to get his team back. Louisville's defense was causing them to take stupid shots and there really looked to be no offensive sets verses their matchup zone defense, and Pearl did nothing change it. Not taking anything away from the way the Cardinals played, cuz they played great, but Tennessee is one of if not the most talented team in the nation and there is no way that they should have lost last night. Yes, Bruce Pearl did start off with nothing when he began his coaching career at Tennessee, and since then he has been able to recruit a group of great players to win with now. But, coach Pearl has been outcoached in every single game of this tournament in my opinion, I SAID EVERY GAME! Yes, the players are the ones who turn the ball over or miss shots, but my biggest gripe of Pearl is that he does nothing different, no adjustments, no changes, nothin! This team got back in the game last night late in the 1st half and early in the 2nd on what they have done all year, score on their athleticism. It wasn't because of Pearl, it was because he has 8 kids that he can throw out there and try to score, that is the only reason!


2nd...After talking about an overrated coach now I will give some props to a coach that I think is very underrated. Sean Miller, of Xavier has done such a tremendous job with his ballclub the last 2 seasons and he really has gone highly unnoticed, like his team has all year. You don't see this guy embarrassing himself or his players on the floor. He stays calm and when you look at him talk to his team during timeouts they give him their complete attention. He has got his team to a position to get to the Final Four for the first time in school history Saturday night. On a personal note, I got a chance to eat dinner with him, when he was an assistant under Herb Sendek at N.C. State following a game in Waterbury while he was recruiting Ryan Gomes, and was really a great and standup guy that loved to teach us young coaches. The way he handles in game situations is really something to watch. I am sure that he rips his kids in practice, but he must be doing something right with the way the kids look and play for him. Miller, in his 4th season at Xavier, I am positive will be getting calls soon from major conference teams in the as soon as April 8th!


On to the Sweet Sixteen Preview...


#3 WISCONSIN/#10 DAVIDSON 7:10 The obvious question for this game is will the Badgers be able to stop Davidson's super soph Stephen Curry? But, my question is how is Davidson going to handle the size of Wisconsin? This could be the best game or the worst game of the night. If Wisconsin's annoying defense shuts down Curry, Davidson is really going to be in for a long night, but I think Curry will be Curry and his teammates will do the job to keep it tight. This preview is pretty simple in my book so I'm going to keep this short, I like Wisconsin to advance even after Curry puts up another 30, how 'bout that!!!


#2 TEXAS/#3 STANFORD 7:25 I think in an earlier post I mentioned that in my bracket I put Texas to win but after I thought about it I really don't like this matchup for the Longhorns. Stanford's size in the frontcourt and speed in the backcourt is very, very dangerous. Just as dangerous though is the duo of D.J. Augustin and A.J. Abrams from Texas. Abrams has really been unconscious during this tournament from the outside having scored 26 in both games. This game is a real toss up for me and since my Tennessee Volunteers just killed my bracket and I really need some help with Texas, I think I really like Stanford to win this one. This is going to be a faster than normal game for the Cardinals but I think that they will prevail. Texas will win though if they get rebound help, and Abrams stays hot from the outside...oh and I almost forgot, the game is in Houston!


#1 KANSAS/#12 VILLANOVA 9:40 If you haven't noticed in the boxscore of both of these teams tournament games, they both send their opponent to the line way to often. Kansas along with UNC are the most talented deep teams left in the tourney. It is obvious that I like Kansas to roll in this one but if Villanova stay hot shooting the basketball which they haven't until the tourney started they could run with the Jayhawks for 40 minutes. Nova has shot over 50 percent in both their games, while Kansas is shooting a stellar 56 percent from the floor. Granted both of these teams haven't faced great defensive teams yet but I really think that it doesn't matter. Foul shooting and whos in foul trouble will be key to Nova's success tonight. But, like I said I like the Jayhawks to roll, but I think I'll be routing for the Wildcats.


#1 MEMPHIS/#5 MICH ST. 9:55 Of course the game I most want to watch for the 2nd consecutive night is the last game. I can write all night how I think that foul shooting is the key to a teams success because I believe that it is. But, if Drew Neitzel comes out shooting like he did in the first game verses Temple the Spartans are doomed! Memphis' key is obviously their foul shooting and inside the paint. Joey Dorsey was Conference USA's Defensive Player of the Year and he really needs to be that guy tonight. He must own the boards, alter shots, and most importantly stay out of foul trouble. If he can do all of this and Derrick Rose plays a great floor game at the point(When does he not), Memphis will be victorious. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't pick the Spartans to win this game tonight. A number 1 seed has to fall and tonight it is going to be Memphis! I gotta got with my favorite "white boy" this year in senior Neitzel to pull off the upset and send Tom Izzo to the Elite Eight with a chance at another Final Four.

1 comment:

deez said...

i guess the wisconsin/davidson game was ugly in favor of the other team though. del did a great job coaching his kid huh?