Monday, March 17, 2008

Sports News From Connecticut

This past week there has been some very interesting news locally for my hometown of Meriden, CT. The pictures say it all!



















Unbelievably, my close friends from my hometown are squaring off in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as the Georgetown Hoyas and their coach Pablo Valentin face Chris Garland and the UMBC Retrievers. I can't even express the joy I have to see these two buddies of mine getting the opportunity to advance in the Tournament against one another. Today is a great day for the cities of Wallingford and Meriden to have another battle for bragging rights this coming weekend.
As for the first battle from the neighboring towns of Meriden and Wallingford, the Maloney Spartans won the Basketballl Class L state title over the Lyman Hall Trojans. Both teams with great stories going into the game with the Spartans looking for state title redemption after the championship loss a year ago, and the Trojans turning around after a 1-19 season just a year ago. From what I understand from the people in attendance it was a very great game to watch. One thing that I can honestly say is that many people I have been around have mixed feeling for coach Howie Hewitt both in basketball and baseball. But, finally with so many chances with so many great teams that he has coached in both sports, he can finally say that he has won a state championship. So I say congrats Howie, now would you finally retire!!!



Finally, yes folks the picture above is your next football Assistant coach at Wilcox Tech. My alma mater which has had it's first football program for the past few years is bringing in a kid who really knows his football, if you don't believe me just ask him he'll tell you. His name is Maynard Lumbra aka Mif, who has been coaching Meriden Raiders for what seems like a lifetime and will continue to do so while coaching the Indians of Wilcox. All I know is that this Mif kid has been putting down the playing calling of coaches on Thanksgiving Day games since I knew him, now finally he is that much closer to having other "know it alls" do the same to him. So congrats Mif on the job, good luck and bring my Indians to dominance, well at least to a couple of victories.

2 comments:

Chillwill said...

rumors speculate that "howie" wants to get in on football now that he pulled a state championship with boy's basketball.

Your days are numbered MIF.

Shorty said...

"My alma mater which has had it's first football program for the past few years is bringing in a kid who really knows his football, if you don't believe me just ask him he'll tell you."

Ahh...the essence of MIF