Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Another Retirement

I wasn't going to do any blogging today but some of my friends up north I think would be disappointed if I didn't. One of my favorite players growing up retired today and that was 35 year old Chris Webber. His infamous timeout (which is reminded to me on the regular even being out of state now) has to be the worst sports moment in my life.



Webber was part of the famous Michigan Fab 5. Five freshman starting on a college team that really became immensely popular as they were seen as bringing a hip hop flavor to the game with showtime, baggy shorts, black socks, and white nikes with Michigan blue and gold. It was easy for the rest of the country to fall in love with the Fab 5, and when they went all the way to the National Championship game that season everyone knew who they were. The most famous game during that run was beating Jimmy Jackson and the Ohio State Buckeyes in the Elite Eight game, with Webber absolutely dominant (that game can be seen usually this month on ESPN Classic). As freshman in the National Championship and playing a very good Duke team, coming off a National Championship a year ago, really got blown out of the water, but I really didn't mind because I knew that they weren't going to be done. They were instant favorites to go back to the Championship the following season and that they did. This game actually still makes me cringe! I was a freshman in high school and during basketball season I rocked my Michigan Webber jersey on the regular during basketball season. Webber was playing well throughout, but on a missed foul shot down 73-71, Webber grab the rebound and took the ball up the floor toward the Michigan bench and called the timeout. All I could do was scream, for I knew that they were all out of timeouts. To this day I still have no idea why Jalen Rose, who would have been Tournament MVP had they won the game, didn't go and get the ball and be the playmaker that he was and take the final seconds in his own hands. But, this is what happen and like I tell my friends I have to deal with it.



C-Webb obviously wasn't ready psychologically for a return trip to college so he entered the NBA Draft and became the 1st sophomore since Magic Johnson to be selected number 1 overall. He was selected by the Orlando Magic, who already had Shaquille O'Neal, and the Magic traded him to the Golden State Warriors for Anfernee Hardaway and 3 future 1st round picks. He wasn't with Golden State very long but you could see early that this kid was ready for the NBA. I still can see his around-the-back dunk on Charles Barkley as a rookie. His greatest successes were realized though in Sacramento, as he took them to within 1 game of the NBA Finals. In Sacramento, before injuries robbed him of his spring and speed he was one if not the best all around big man in the game. Webber bounced around the league a lot with having played in Golden State, then Washington, Sacramento, then Philadelphia, then with Detroit, and back to Golden State. Chris had another chance at the Finals with the Detroit Pistons a year ago but was denied by Lebron James and the Cavs. Webber is just one of six players in the history of the game to average at least 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists for a career. Others include Hall of Famers Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, Larry Bird, and Billy Cunningham as well as active star Kevin Garnett. All the talks all day on if Webber is a Hall of Famer got me to realize he is not. Granted the Basketball Hall of Fame is for college as well as pro, but with Webber's problem with taking money in college which led to Michigan taking down their banners hurt his chances and not even getting to the NBA Finals with his career stats has to hurt a little more. Webber will always be remembered for his timeout, but I will more remember him for him and the cocky Fab 5 teammates taking college basketball by storm and his street ballin ways to the nationally televised games. His unbelievable dunking and passing ability, and the way he talked trash without even opening his mouth. You were one of the good guys Chris, just luck was never on your side!

SOME OF WEBBER'S CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS:
1991 National High School Player of the Year
1st Team NCAA All-American 1993
1994 NBA Rookie of the Year
5 time NBA All-Star
1 time All-NBA 1st Team
3 time All-NBA 2nd Team

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(cough)1 time-out(cough)


-sorry deez i had to.

Shorty said...

I never got the Fantasy Baseball Preview Email you sent out...