Saturday, April 5, 2008

Trip to the Gulf Coast.


This past week I had the opportunity to visit Gulf Coast two and a half years after Hurricane Katrina. Although, most of my time was spent at the Stennis NASA space center in the area I got to tour most of the region during they week. The area I was stay was in Bay St. Louis, the city were the eye of the storm directly passed over and I was able to make a trip down to New Orleans which is about 45 minutes away. The wreckage that still remains amazed me. I was amazing to see how depressed the overall attitude of the people was down there, everyone smoked. I was amazed to see the many trees snapped right in half from the wind. I do suggest going down there and checking it out yourself. The area may not be too exciting, but you can still view the wreckage that occurred. Also, if you've never been to New Orleans (Bourbon St.) I suggest you do at least once. My suggestion is do some research before you go just so your not in the wrong part of the city and don't book it for a week because you will get into some trouble. A weekend will do and you'll definitely be entertained by how outrageous Bourbon St. can be. The pictures I am posting obviously aren't ones I took, but places I passed by during my journey.




This is a picture of a McDonald's in Bay St. Louis that I passed by. It's still there along with a brand new one adjacent to it. The boat is gone though.



This is a picture of I-10 which travels along the coast. It connects Jacksoville and New Orleans. The divider where the Deer is lay is acutally at least 5 times that size you see there the rest is under water.




This is a picture of one of the houses that used to be about 200 yards from the beach which was on elevated ground. This is in Gulfport, MS just before Bay St. Louis.



Bourbon St. in New Orleans. Good times and 3 for $1 Miller Lites!!!!! Oh yeah...and beads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU WENT THERE. THAT WILL BE A TRIP THAT WILL STAY IN YOUR MIND FOREVER. GLAD YOU MADE IT HOME FINALLY. MOM