Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Random Thoughts Today


My first thought today is that my back and butt really hurt while I am posting this right now. I fell...hard yesterday and I am still feeling the effects of it today. Here's how it went down...literally, I was working out at my brother's rec center in Jacksonville and after my workout I usually go and shoot some baskets in their court. Well, yesterday the maintenance worker was washing and waxing the floor and when I went in I ask him how much longer will he be. He told me that I could use one side of the court while he works on the other side, I probably should have just walked out right then. I was shooting around and when he finished waxing the one side of the court he left to empty out the rest of the water. Well, needless to say that one of my shots clanked of the rim hard and started to bounce toward the waxed side. Instead of just letting it go I went and ran for the ball to save it from getting on the cleaned area and my right foot landed on a waxed part and slid up to my chin and sent me flying into the air. While airborne I heard my back crack like a zipper on my jeans and before impact with the floor I saw benches. The fall felt like somebody swung a bat to my butt and I continued to slide right for the benches and my left leg felt left out so it got struck by the benches. As I laid there in absolute pain, I crawled about 15 yards to the door of the gym and tried to pick myself up. I got to my brothers condo took a shower and then looked at myself in the mirror and started laughing about what had just happened. If only there was a video camera that saw that! Well, there is one in the gym...Great! Here's a couple of other great falls...









So besides from my fall, the past few days have been pretty good. Here are some of my random thoughts for today...


Just reported today that the Cincinnati Bengals refused a trade with the Washington Redskins. It was Chad Johnson for the Redskins 1st round pick (21st overall) this year and a 3rd round pick next year that could possibly end up being a 1st round pick if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels. WOW! The Bengals must be pretty serious about not trading Johnson if they turned down something like that. I thought that the 'skins were a little too quiet this off season thus far. The only reason i would be for this trade is to keep Johnson away from the Eagles other than that I could really care less either way.


What's with the damn gas prices? I mean I have to pay for it so why not complain about it. This is getting a little ridiculous huh guys over in Washington? How anyone who makes minimum wage and has to travel 20 minutes to work everyday do it? With reports that before summer starts, the prices will average in the nation in the $4 rage is stupid. Thankfully my car is very good on gas, but still not that good! I am really considering using the money I get on some more tax rebates next month on my motorcycle license and getting a small bike. As of yesterday the average filling gas station in the county was at a high of $3.50 a gallon. This country is in serious trouble!


I saw the movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall yesterday and if you don't mind seeing a little penis here and there this movie was absolutely hysterical. Starring Jason Segal, and from the makers of Knocked Up, this movie was funny from the start. The theater that I attended was pretty packed for this movie for a 12:30 start I thought, but with good reasons. An absolute must see!


I said this at the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Chase Utley might be the best keeper in the Fantasy Baseball world today. He is an incredible talent! For those of you not knowing why I am saying this today, Utley has hit a homer in five consecutive games, six dongs overall in this stretch.


Forgivably I forgot to post a playoff preview for the NBA. Thinking that the 1st round was going to be a drag, it has been very entertaining so far. The physical play in the playoffs have brought me back to the Bulls/Knicks rivalry that had a physical foul on every trip down the court. I don't think that the players today realize how physical that series was and what the players in general could get away with then.


Why is everyone so shocked about Miguel Tejada lying about his age. Usually the Latin players put five years off their age. We should be commending Tejada for it only being the difference of two years.


Finally I really want to get into something that happened late in the Rockets/Jazz game that I have heard people talk about today. After watching the replay several times, something is going to need to be done. When Luis Scola was called for an offensive foul away from the ball just before Bobby Jackson hit a game tying three pointer with less than a minute to play the Rockets had no more chances to win the game all because Andrei Kirilenko flopped. I am little on both sides of this but more clearly on flopping needing to be more controlled. As physical as the game of basketball is you have to let some stuff go and to make a game deciding call like that is wrong. I remember playing in high school and taking three charges in one game, at least two of them were flops but the ref called them in my favor. Then weeks later I thought that I took charges at least 5 times mostly flops but the ref didn't blow his whistle. That being said, flopping is part of the game that a defensive player must do to gain an advantage and sell his defense to the referee. But, some guys take it too far! Its one thing if you get absolutely plowed into, but to fall down or throw your arms in the air to sell it is out of control. The refs need to do a better job of just letting some things go and letting the players play. I don't know if anything can be done to get control of flopping but in my opinion I would let the players decide the game with their play instead of the referees deciding the game with their whistle.


My mock NFL Draft will be worked on all day today and hopefully posted tomorrow. It looks like the only sure thing so far is that the Dolphins can't trade out of the top spot and might be taking Michigan OT Jake Long.

2 comments:

Shorty said...

I can't believe they're gonna take a Wolverine with the 1st pick...yuck...

Anonymous said...

They might take another one a couple rounds later in Chad Henne. Shorty, you're gonna be a Michigan fan whether you like it or not. Jake Long just signed 5 yr deal 57 mil and 30 guaranteed. Go Michigan Dolphins! Whoo hoo! Also, Deez I told you. I saw Kiper's Draft and he had Eagles taking the WR from Mich ST at 19 and Titans taking Hardy at 24. I think Hardy is a better receiver but what the hell do I know. And not that the Kiper picks mean anything. I think the position that will drop is QB. After Ryan, no one is going to get selected in the 1st round and maybe not until the 3rd.