Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Greatest Season of All-Time

Today after a couple of days layoff, I am going to get back into my favorite greatest seasons of all-time before the turn of the century. This week's installment is my 9th overall season which isn't getting any easier to decide on. Baseball is the sport, a godly pitcher is the player.


In 1968, the Year of the Pitcher, Bob Gibson, of the St. Louis Cardinals, dominated with a 1.12 ERA, the fourth-best all time, over 304 2/3 innings. He threw 13 shutouts, tied for the third most. During one ridiculous stretch of 10 starts in the middle of the summer, Gibson allowed two runs in 90 innings. His 22-9 record is quite misleading: Gibson had a 2.14 ERA in his nine losses, games in which the Cardinals scored only 12 total runs. His brilliance continued in the World Series against the Tigers. He gave up just one run in winning Games 1 and 4. Even after being touched up for four runs in a Game 7 loss, he wound up with a 1.67 ERA. I always wished I got to see him pitch live, but watching his highlights on the tube, you can get the gist of just how good he really was.

1 comment:

Shorty said...

I f*ckin love Bob Gibson...if there's any pitcher I wish I could have seen on the mound from the past it would have been him...the most intimidating player in the history of the game...