Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Random Thoughts Today


It must be Wednesday because my thoughts are racing after the weekend that was in sports. I am mostly going to concentrate on the NBA Playoffs since I haven't wrote about it nearly as much as I did a year ago. Let's get right to my RTTs!!!


What's going on with the home teams? Is it really that difficult now to win on the road? The home teams in the second round of the NBA playoffs are 17-1 with the lone team, the Detroit Pistons, to win on the road. Subsequently leading to them finishing off the Orlando Magic last night 4 games to 1 and moving on to another Conference Championship Series. I don't know about most of you but I don't ever remember a NBA Playoffs with this kind of trend. It almost feels like now when I watch a game this round that the first team to lose a home game will ultimately lose the series which makes every game almost like a game 7.


The Boston Celtics have been really driving me crazy this post season. As much as I say I don't have an NBA team that I rout for I have found myself routing for this team since the post season began. With the Cavs winning both home games this past weekend, they have tied the series at 2 games apiece and in my opinion have put a ton of pressure on the Celtics going back to Boston for game 5 tonight. I have heard a ton of criticism of Kevin Garnett by so-called "experts" on ESPN this week and I just shake my head. He has been keeping the C's so close on the road. His numbers in points might not be there but his defensive pressure and controlling the boards had been giving their offense chances to come back but they never could. Speaking of their offense, they have been terrible on the offensive end, at some points looking like a team that doesn't belong in the the second round. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen better get the shooting touches starting tonight or I feel that this season could end up being a disappointing one.


Was I the only one routing for Sergio Garcia at the Players Championship this past weekend? Yeah he is a "Spainard", and yeah he was suppose to be the one to challenge Tiger years ago, and yeah he has choked on numerous occasions in the past on the big stage. But, I am just glad that he got this win out of the way. So that we don't have to hear about his close calls every single week like we use to hear about Greg Norman.


Yes...The Tampa Bay "Deez" Rays are back on top of the AL East after defeating the New York Yankees the past two nights. Better get on board the bandwagon!


On pace to destroy every women's professional golf record known, Annika Sorenstam is retiring from the game of golf at season's end at the age of 37. I only know of womens golf because of Annika. She has dominated this sport for years and though most of the United States don't understand this retirement, I kindof can. Women athletes unlike men have to deal with child birth during their career. Many women have taken time off from their professional sports to deal with this situation. I really don't think that this will be the last year we see Annika on the course but we will just have to wait and see.


36 year-old Chipper Jones is still hitting over .400! I never did expect this from Chipper this season and I really hope that he stays healthy enough to keep us talking all year. Currently hitting .415, even if he flirts with .380 Chipper will be making heads turn especially to Hall of Fame voter that don't think that he belongs in...including myself!


This week Sean Taylor's killers found out that they won't face the death penalty because one of the suspects is under the age of 18. But, they can all still get life in prison. Also, news brought in today is that a fifth person has been found in the slaying of Taylor and this one is only 16 years old. I am fine with them all not getting the death penalty but I hope that they do some hard time for many, many years for their part in the death of young man.

No comments: