Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Random Thoughts Today


Finally coherent, I wanted to give you my usual Wednesday's Random Thoughts. With a lot of sports topics on my mind I need to get right to it.


Move over Vlad, Ichiro, and Dave Parker there is a knew man that I have love for his throwing arm and that is my man Rick Ankiel. If you didn't see it watch ESPN today and continue to search for it because last night he didn't just amaze me with his arm once but the damn guy did it twice. You have to find it because this will be the last time you see it. Nobody will run on this guy again, period. Two guys trying to reach third, two guys thrown out by absolute seeds from the deep part of center field in Coors Field. Did I forget to mention that he also hit his 6th homer and has upped his batting average to .277. I am going to be the first to give you the vote for Ankiel world tour for the All-Star Game.


What a joke! The Orlando Magic got so jobbed the other night with the clock stopping for Chaunce Billips to nail a three-pointer ending the third quarter and taking all momentum from the Magic going into the 4th. Not to mention that the Magic had to get a letter from the NBA's office that apologized for what happened and that they got hosed on the call the referees decision. The blame is not to be put on the refs for this one, since the NBA still not up to date with their rules, had no choice but to make a call in that situation without having the option of looking at the instant replay. How can the NBA even have this as a rule? In fact if I was the NBA I would be embarrassed to say that this is not a rule. I am not going to talk about the outcome of the game I just don't understand how with all the evolution in this day in age how can the NBA not get this right? Even in college you can go to the clock and determine the time that went off the clock. It was a low point for professional basketball when you had to watch the referees huddle up for 5 minutes and ask each other, "So how much time do you think there was?", "How bout you?"! If matters could get any worse for the Magic on their way back to Orlando after their game, their airplane was having some functional problems and had to stop in Cincinnati and stay there overnight.


Barry Zito is back in the rotation tonight against the Pittsburgh Pirates. This had to be done! Get his confidence up against a lowly team away from San Francisco. Zito's control and strength on his fastball has disappear since signing that ridiculous contract with the Giants a year ago. He is thus far 0-6 with an ERA in the hundreds. Either way the Giants are screwed because you can't put $125 million dollars in the bullpen nor can you have one in your rotation that is not winning games. This could possibly go down in history as the biggest free agent bust in the history of free agents.


Chris Paul didn't win the MVP award yesterday...Kobe Bryant did. And, I can say that even though I have been a Kobe hater in the past, he is much deserving of this award. Kobe won the MVP for the first time in his career and this year he was so on top of his game that I am so done being a hater. He is good. And you know what the more and more I listen to him talk this year he has been friendly, trusting, and to the point in all his conversations. I have gotten to liken Bryant even though I will still be routing for the Jazz tonight. Congrats Kobe on the award, forgetting what happened in Denver which we will never really know, you have had a pretty tough 5 years which has now found you with a personal award in your showcase.


Sitting at Caesars Palace with Chad, Jon Fid, and Ricky getting ready for the most exciting 2 minutes in sports was unbelievable. Not only was it this because of all the different trifectas that we lost on at the Kentucky Derby. But, sitting there at the bar by ourselves for a couple of hours, then about 15 minutes before the race the bar was packed with people. And by the time the bell sounded and the gates opened for the horses I could hear myself think. The excitement of betting on the race being in Las Vegas and cheering my face off was something I will always remember that day. Big Brown is a tremendous horse that will be a huge favorite as he put one leg of the Triple Crown away. What is regrettably sad is that what gambling does to somebody is that while a horse in Eight Belles in laying on the ground in sure pain and about to be put away all at least I could think about was who finished in second and third in the case of hitting on one of our 50 trifectas.


Finally, I have to talk a little Las Vegas and sports odds! I finally understand why Las Vegas wins! They win because they can. I waited two days for them to post a line for the game 7 Celtics/Hawks game, but it never came. NO LINE! Are you kidding me! I was pretty pissed so I was forced to take two other teams with my money and lost. Nice! It is safe to say that I am done gambling after the weekend that I had...until football season. But basketball and baseball are done, all done!!!


My experience in Las Vegas is being carefully done as we speak and should be posted tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mondays News headline: LVPD still in search of a man going by the alias "The Nitetrain". This man was last seen roaming the streets in a blackout state with his trademark bud light bottle. call the LVPD if you have any info

-gary uhlman "i hate deez"