Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Greatest Season of All-Time

18 down...2 to go. Back with my newest installment of my favorite greatest season of all-time before the turn of the century. This week's post is a player that I wished I gotten a chance to see just once. I have always been a huge fan of his, and I never got to see him play live. On to number 2!


College basketball never saw this "Pistol" being drawn. Watching the fluidity of his ballhandling, the way he glided on the court and his ability to score, and you can begin to appreciate his mastery of the basketball. Simply put, Pete Maravich is the greatest scorer in college basketball history. In 1969-70, his senior year, he set D-I records for scoring average (44.5) and total points (1,381). Pistol Pete notched 50-plus points 10 times, including three games over 60 points. He scored 69 against Alabama, which stood as a D-I record for 21 years. Maravich's season-low scoring output was 29, which is more than any D-I player averaged in 2006-07. That bested his averages as a junior (44.2 points) and sophomore (43.8). No player has approached any of those marks since. And just imagine what he would have done with a 3-point line. Pete made an average of 13 shots a game from what is now the three-point line; if the three-point line had existed when he played, he would have averaged 57 points a game. Maravich was a first team All-American and was named The Sporting News' player of the year that season, and received the USBWA College Player of the Year and Naismith Award as well. As a team that year, LSU was 20-8 and participated in the NIT, where they were defeated by Marquette 101-79 in the semi-finals. Pete Maravich was classified as one of the greatest players in college basketball history who never played in the NCAA tournament. What is really great about this season is that his statistical output hasn't been close to getting broken. I ask you how many times have you seen a D-I player reach 50 points in a single game? He is and was the greatest college player to step on the court. I normally will just post a picture of him below, but how can I not post his highlights for my readers.



No comments: