Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Greatest Season of All-Time

I'm back with my latest installment of my favorite greatest season before the 20th century. We are finally here to the top 5, after much scrutiny for my number 6 a week ago I am pretty sure that the comment page will start to pick up. This week we will stay with football this time at the collegiate level. Enjoy!


Since the year of 1988, Oklahoma State running back Barry Sanders has remained the standard for running backs, and what he accomplished during his final season with the Cowboys was nothing short of phenomenal. Emerging from the shadows of Thurman Thomas, Sanders had the greatest season in college football history. Counting the bowl game, he rushed for 2,850 yards in 12 games (an average of 237.5 yards per game) and was an easy choice for the Heisman Trophy. In the 62-14 Holiday Bowl win verses Wyoming, Sanders rushed for 222 yards and had 5 touchdowns. Sanders had four 300-plus rushing games that season, more than anyone else has had in a career. He also scored at least two touchdowns in every game and scored three or more nine times. Barry was probably my favorite player to watch at the NFL level and though I was 10 years of age at the time of this achievement you couldn't help but to hear his name and think that greatest was to come to him professionally.


No comments: