Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I was at that game...Final post


The most special game I have been to in my lifetime. Going to Fenway Park with my family didn't happen very often, but this day my father, mom, and brother Tim went to see the Red Sox play against the Cleveland Indians. This had to of happen close to 20 years ago, damn I'm getting old. Well, our seats were right along the right field line and The Red Sox were starting an onslaught. Wade Boggs, and Dwight Evans homered that day, but they weren't the only ones that left the yard. Rookie Sam Horn had just got brought up by the Sox the day before and he hit a homerun in his first major league start. So manager John McNamara gave him another start this day and to the fans and my delight, Horn hit 2 more homeruns for the Fenway Faithful and tied the major league record for the most homeruns hit in his first two professional games. Well, as the blowout was going on my parents saw opening right behind the Red Sox dugout so we walked over and sat 5 rows up. When the game ended, as the team was coming off the field, I went to the edge of the dugout to see if some of the players would throw a ball or hope that they would sign some more autographs. Well, to my luck Sam Horn pops his head up and slides over the bat that he used that day right to me. Some puck kid about 4 or 5 years older than me takes the bat from my hands and Sam yells at him to give it back to me. I said, "Thanks Sam!" and went running over to my dad. It was one of the greatest moments in my childhood. A couple of years later, Horn was making an autograph appearance in the Connecticut area so me and my mom drove up to see him and brought the bat with me. As I waited in line, I kept thinking what am I going to say to this big monster of a ball player. I got to the table and said to him, "Mr. Horn, this is the bat you used in your second professional game and you gave it to me after the game, you hit two homers that day and I was wondering if you would sign it for me." He smiled, looked at me and said, "You know this is a record tying bat, right." I said yes, and he took the bat stood up and took some swings. We held of the line for at least 20 minutes talking. He signed the bat, To Dennis....Sam Horn #30....Many of more years to come "88". I still have the bat today and I swing it now and again, even thought the writing has faded a bit. I will never forget that day as long as I live and I have always cheered for Sam even though his career plummeted when he went to Baltimore. Thanks Sam, the bat will stay with me for "Many more years to come"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this story brought a tear to my eye.

deez said...

lol...who wrote that!!!

Shorty said...

hahahahaha...too bad for Sam there weren't as many more as he would have liked...