Sunday, June 17, 2007

I was at that game part 3...



This game was very memorable to me in more ways then one. It was the first game that I went with the die hard season ticket holder Frank Sims, and being with him along with the Bleacher Creatures during a blow out, and the runs not being scored for the home team was not a good thing. Hideki Irabu was pitching for the Yanks that day and his stellar start to his professional career appeared to be a fluke after this game. I was wearing my Ken Griffey Jr. t-shirt underneath another shirt that day because I new that I would be in trouble wearing that in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium. Irabu was in trouble from the get-go, Junior hit a 2-run homer in the first to start off the onslaught. Alex Rodriguez added another that day. But, in steps "The Kid" in the sixth and for some reason Irabu was still in the game. With no one on Griffey hits a blast into the bleachers in right and I am looking at the flight of the ball and it is coming in our direction. I am sitting along side Todd Murphy in the first row, and I start making a race at the ball like I am back playing Legion baseball again. Well, it lands in the bleachers no more than two feet away from me for his second bomb of the day and there is a scramble for the ball and some punk kid ends up with it some how. And the stupid kid throws it back onto the field. That was it for the Japanese star after that and the M's were rolling. Well, my good friend Frank is pissed and he decides to sell me out to the whole crowd that I am indeed a Mariners fan. They started to give it to me and I took off my t-shirt and the crowd saw me rockin my Griffey shirt and needless to say, they weren't happy. After having everything thrown at me except a pricey beer cup I walked out of Yankee Stadium safe with my boy Frank by my side. Not only was it the first time I seen Griffey go yard, but being so close to getting the future Hall of Famers second homerun could not be enough. I had to watch myself on Sportcenter the next day to see how close I was. Ouch!

No comments: