Friday, February 15, 2008

The Best Slam Dunk Contestants

The NBA All-Star weekend is here and the best part of the weekend when I was 9 years old was always the slam dunk and 3 point contests. Though, both have lost some great energy over the years with in my opinion not enough stars in the contests I still watch just because it brings me back to when I was a kid. We only have 4 contestants this year with the big name being Dwight Howard. The others competing are last year's winner Gerald Green of the Timberwolves, Jamarro Moon of the Raptors, and Rudy Gay of the Grizzlies. I remember when I was 13 years old playing basketball outside with my brother and his friend Luke Williams and Timmy fouling me while I was going to the hoop and banging my head on the pole of the hoop. The only thing I remember the rest of that night was that I saw stars when I hit the pole and Dee Brown pumping up his shoes at the Dunk Contest. Here's my list of favorite slam dunk contestants:



Michael Jordan 1987,1988 winner

The man was so creative the basketball world was not ready for him when he put on a show in the contest for two consecutive years. His "airness" put on such a show for the fans that you would hear a pin drop before he made up a ridiculous dunk. His dunks will be portraits in my mind forever.

Dominique Wilkins 1985,1990 winner

Wilkins brought power to a dunk contest that really brought in a new class of dunkers that brought energy to the crowd by throwing it down with authority. The two-time winner probably could have won three if it wasn't for Jordan winning the title in 1988 on his home court in front of his fans. But, 'Nque put on a show that I appreciated more when I saw the replays when i was older. Wilkins was a freak in the contest.


Harold Miner 1993, 1995 winner

Nicknamed "Baby Jordan" when the original slam dunk king stopped entering Minor brought his creativeness to the contest that was very similar to Air Jordan. At this point of time most of the stars really started to drift away from the contest but Minor and Isaih Rider made the contest still enjoyable.


Vince Carter 2000 winner

Carter only entered the contest once but it was one of the best performances I had ever seen. With cousin and teammate Tracy McGrady helping him out with alley-oops he stole the show that night and to be quite honest with you I was looking for who competed with him and they weren't found. Carter combined his style with finesse and power. If you never seen him in this contest, find it!

Spud Webb 1986 winner

Not many people know this but the real reason why my favorite number is #4 it's because of this man pictured above. If Webb was a little better of a basketball player he would have been my favorite. While his size was always a controversy 5'6'', 5'7'', 5'8'' when you saw him bring the audience to attention with his leaping skills it was unbelievable. I wish I still had the poster but I had one of him and his winning dunk for the '86 contest. The leaping skills from Webb was amazing and to this day his performance in the contest will never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the blast from the past. But let's not forget the future -- and Dwight Howard does seem to be it. Just check out what he's cooking up for tomorrow, sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIz7sYjp1Sc