Tuesday, May 26, 2009

CWS Tournament


The seedings are in. All they have to do now is play. The defending champions, Fresno State sneaked their way back into the field with a great conference tournament. My pre-season predictions weren't all that great, but I still have 7 of 8 teams left to advance to Omaha. The tournament begins this Friday with four teams trying to knock each other out in a double elimination round play. I left you all a bracket in case you were interested how this thing really works. For the next 4 days I will be giving you my predictions for each region (1 of 4 sides of the bracket). For your own information, I am naming the brackets on who the highest seeded team is. This is the best time of the year if your a true baseball fan. Even though the toughest thing to do is picking teams for the CWS...Let's get right to the proclaimed Seth Davis of college baseball's picks...



TEXAS REGION



1) Texas (41-13-1)


4) Army (34-19)---------------------------------------->


3) Boston College (33-24)


2) Texas State (41-15)


---------------------------->


1) TCU (36-16)


4) Wright St. (33-28)------------------------------------>


3) Oregon St. (35-17)


2) Texas A&M (36-22)




1) Georgia Tech (35-17-1)


4) Georgia St. (39-20)------------------------------------>


3) Southern Miss. (35-23)


2) Elon (40-16)


----------------------------->


1) Florida (39-20)


4) Bethune-Cookman (32-26)---------------------------->


3) Jacksonville (36-20)


2) Miami (36-20)




Texas received the overall #1 ranking for the CWS. Hense the easy schedule in the Regional round. The Gators received the #8 overall ranking but must get through all Florida schools to advance to the Super Regional, won't be a easy task in the least. Since the Gators got offered to host a Regional round, my father is actually trying to get tickets as we speak, unfortunately a man named Chad will be down in Orlando this weekend so I told him I couldn't go. Even though a 4 seed did win the National Championship last season, I am not finding too many upsets in the first round of this bracket. I really like Texas and GT to breeze through their Regions to the Supers as 1 seeds, both are way to talented for their other matchups. I had Texas A&M advance to the Championship game in my preseason picks but I can't seem to get them past Texas in the Supers so, count on the Longhorns to advance to the CWS. I can't pick Florida over Miami, can't do it. Even though the Hurricanes have had a less than stellar regular season, at least for their standards, I think that they can sneak their way out of Gainesville to the Super Regional round against the Yellowjackets. Now this is really where I am tossed. GT is one of the hottest teams entering the CWS and split the regular season series with Miami 2-2. Let's face it, I am going to go with Miami because of their name...plain and simple. So here are your two teams heading to Omaha in the Texas Region:




Omaha Bound:


Texas Longhorns


Miami Hurricanes

3 comments:

Pitbull said...

I have to agree with you Den. I just can't see Jeff Simeone's school beating GT and although Miami is down a little this year, they are still Miami. I got to catch Texas A&M play this year and liked them alot. They were aggressive and hit the ball well. I would say if they can get past Texas, they have a real shot to make alot of noise in the tournament.

deez said...

i gotta agree pitbull, a&m is legit. i just didn't think that texas was as good as advertised at the beginning of the season, but after i saw a game i was convinced. oh yea, if they get by the longhorns the aggies are going to be tough in omaha. congrads on your graduation marc, wish i was there for ya this past weekend. speaking of which, did you remember that i called you saturday? still waiting on my call back.

Anonymous said...

i think this was your worst bracket...not bad