Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Would You Do?


The Davidson Wildcats and their junior guard, Stephen Curry, had their 2008-2009 season end on Monday in the second round of the NIT. Certainly it was not the way the Wildcats saw their season ending after the incredible run to the Elite Eight a year ago. As a super sophomore, Curry stepped onto the national stage as an electric shooter, with great charisma and a knack for getting the ball in the hole. This season, the Wildcats had a tougher schedule and did not sneak up on as many opponents as they did last season. Which caused for more losses and a trip to the 3 most hated letters in NCAA basketball (N.I.T). Now Curry has a big decision to make. With a weak NBA Draft expected this summer, some experts are saying that he is a lottery pick if he decides to come out this season. What would you do? Curry is a different kind of kid that usually will leave early for the NBA. He has a solid family foundation, his family has money, and most of all...he has a father that has been there. I realize that the money that he could make at the NBA level is money that I will never see in my entire life, but honestly what is the rush. I know that the way that he and Davidson ended the season this year was not the way he wanted to leave the college game. I was listening to ESPN radio the other day and Doug Gotlieb said that Chris Paul was asked recently what he would do if he was Stephen Curry. He said, "All I know is that there is not one day that goes by where I wish that I stayed another year in college and got a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament again." I honestly believe that a lot of NBA players feel the exact same way. Once you leave college to become a professional that is it. No more frat parties, no more hangin with the co-eds, no more hangin with your teammates/friends. It's over! Now a lot of you will say, "What if he gets hurt and loses his draft stock?" Listen, this isn't football and he is not a left handed pitcher. Curry is a very different kind of player that enters the NBA. The dude can flat out shoot the rock and he has it (whatever it is, he has it), and that is something that he will never lose! I dunno, this might be just me. Even though Curry is really a one man show on his Davidson basketball team, he is known for being the ultimate team guy. He loves his teammates and I firmly believe that if he decides not to come back for one more possible Davidson run, he'll never forgive himself. So I will ask my readers today, "What would you do?"

No comments: