Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ReCapping the 1st Weekend


Chalk, chalk, and more chalk was the talks of the 1st and 2nd rounds of the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Is this a good or a bad thing? Well, for myself I have mixed emotions. On one hand the tournament committee got the seedings correct which looks good for them and makes me look like a jerk, since I didn't think they did a very good job this season. And this way, we really get to watch the best teams face each other and see who is actually better. On the other hand...we have no Davidson or George Mason. I really don't think that I need to waste your time when I say that.


During my trip back home from visiting Pablo, I got a chance to listen to The Herd on ESPN radio, something that I don't get to enjoy in my hometown. And the host of the show Colin Cowherd mentioned something that I did not really realize in March. People don't want to see the Cinderellas play. They really don't. We as a nation want to see Villanova play Duke this week. Not Western Kentucky verses LSU. All you have to look at are the facts:


NEW YORK (AP)—Television ratings for the first and second round of the NCAA tournament are up 6 percent from last year.
Overnight ratings released Monday show CBS earned a 5.4 rating and 12 share, up from a 5.1 rating and 12 share for the first two rounds in 2008.
On Sunday, the overnight rating was up 10 percent from 2008. The final group of games, including a tight contest between top-seed Louisville and surprise Siena, earned an 8.1 overnight rating and 14 share, the highest rating for the 5-7:45 p.m. EDT slot since an 8.2 in
2006.


And just so that we are all on the same page...Arizona is not a Cinderella. We know who Arizona is, hell they have been to the Final Four 4 times since 1988 and been to the finals twice. That is not a stat for a Cinderella, I don't care if they are a 12 seed or not. Now they are an underdog, so is Gonzaga, and even though they have a Big Ten title so is Purdue. But these programs can not be considered as Cinderellas, not a chance.


The best performances of the tournament for me thus far excluding Arizona, have to be the play of Gonzaga and Syracuse. It has been a long time coming but the Bulldogs have finally come to play in the tournament. Yea, they played Akron and Western Kentucky but their guard play has been phenomenal and I have been thoroughly impressed with not just the wins but how they have won. And I really believe that they will cause problems for a UNC team that has had problems scoring on the perimeter so far. With the Orangemen how can you not be impressed? After playing the most minutes in a Big East tournament the players (and coaches) have shown no signs of being fatigued. I didn't really give them a chance against Arizona State, little did I know that one of my favorite coaches in the game in Herb Sendek would have a brain fart a play a zone against the nation's deepest deep threats. As with Gonzaga, Syracuse is poised to move on with their match up with Oklahoma in the Sweet Sixteen. I love 'cuse's zone against the Sooners.


Later in the week before the games start on Thursday I will preview each match up. But to give you a little taste. What do you think is the best match up in the next round? How about the one nobody is talking about...Michigan State verses Kansas. Tom Izzo verses Bill Self. Can I ask why I haven't heard anyone say boo about this yet. Well, don't worry I'll get into it soon. Enjoy the days until the tournament.

No comments: