Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Not an easy week...




I got home Saturday and when my awesome brother giggled and told me that Michigan was getting beat by Appalachian State, I looked at him and was like why would you laugh, then I went to my room shut the door and took a nap. I didn't really want to bear the thought of Michigan losing to the repeat champs of Division 1 AA, and when my phone started to ring off the hook from my "so-called" friends, I already knew what happened and to be honest I was not that surprised! When I looked at Michigan schedule last week I thought that they were going to get an early loss (Oregon this week), but my nightmare came a week earlier. I am hopeful that one thing came out of this loss, Lloyd Carr will finally get fired! Something that I have publicly been pushing for the last three years.

Not only did Michigan loss on Saturday ask me why, my Seattle Mariners hadn't won a game in a month and the playoffs are now looking slimmer and slimmer for a squad some journalists were calling the 5th best team in the majors. This team has caused me serious grief over the last 5 years. And, with them finally giving me a little hope they decide last week to forget how to pitch and hit and another early off-season looms in the distance.

Why am I cursed in sports? I haven't seen one of my teams win a championship since 1997, when the Wolverines won with the help from Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson and QB Brien Griese. Before that was the Redskins in 1991 and 1987. You can say that I was routing for the Red Sox in 2003, but that was only so that my late grandfather had a chance to see his favorite team win the World Series. I was a huge Chicago Bulls fan but the NBA game has changed so much since then that I will occasionally follow the Bulls now but I really don't pay much attention until the last couple of weeks of the regular season.

So with Seattle's season dwindling and the football season looking to be a long one with the sub-par Redskins and the Division 3 Wolverines, I will be looking for something to entertain me this fall. I am hopeful for my fantasy football team, but as my readers already know I am just living in fantasy right now since the season doesn't start until tomorrow and that will be that! I am thinking about changing all of my favorite teams but I will need some time to narrow them down. When I think about my sports teams over the last ten years, I feel like Buckner walking back to the dugout after game 6...queasy!

an unsatisfied sports fan

No comments: