Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tired of the Big Ten


You know that Chris Rock skit where he says,

"I love rap music, I love it...just tired of defending it."

I feel the exact same way about Big Ten football.

I went to The Capitol One Bowl a year ago when Michigan defeated Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators on New Years Day. It was probably the best game out of all the bowl games that year. Michigan pulled off the upset and defeated the SEC school, it was 1 of 2 victories for the Big Ten in bowl games last season. This season it has gotten worse. The Big Ten went 1-6 this bowl season. ONE WIN! As most of my readers know I hate the Ohio State Buckeyes with a passion, and I actually found myself pulling for them against Texas the other night just so that the Big Ten can save some dignity this season. I have always said the past couple of seasons that the Big Ten is just misunderstood and that they don't have enough games against other power house schools in their environment, which is cold windy weather. But, screw that! You can't teach speed, quickness, or god given ability. And when it comes to the athletes in the Big Ten they just don't compare with the talent in the Big 12 or SEC. It was so apparent in the USC/Penn State, Kansas/Minnesota, and Georgia/Michigan State games. All three of the Big Ten schools were not ready for the speed of these 3 teams. Even though Michigan State stayed in the game, Georgia really let them. My father asked me on New Years Day if the Nittany Lions had a shot today, and I told him that I really think that they might get blown out...they are not ready for USC's speed. And they weren't! Honestly how can the Big Ten compete? If I am a head coach recruiting players to come to my school in the south, all you have to do is send them there in December and show them the type of weather there will be, and the skimpy clothes the ladies are wearing on campus. Tell you what, that would sell me! The Big Ten has to find the athletes that want out of the south, or make sure they get the athletes early in the north. Or the Big Ten will keep finding themselves at the bottom of the barrel as far as top football conferences is concerned. I will continue to be a fan of the Big Ten football, but I will not defend it any time soon.

No comments: