Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jodie Meeks' Night


It really is a great feeling when you find yourself in "the zone". "The zone" during a basketball game is hard to describe, but you know it when your in it. Having played a little basketball in my life, "the zone" only happened to me a few times. I think that all the other basketball players that read this blog can agree with me when I say, "It is one hell of a feeling!". The Tennessee Volunteers last night were the victims of someone in "the zone" last night. Last Wednesday night they saw their 39 game home winning streak come to an end. Now because of Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks, they now have a home losing streak of two. Meeks scored 54 points last night, which broke the 39 year old all-time Kentucky Wildcat record for a points in a game. He went 10-15 from 3-point range, made all of his 14 free-throw attempts, and was responsible for 60% of his teams points scored last night. I was reading ESPN's Pat Forde's take on the performance this morning and he noted a couple of unbelievable stats that I thought that I should note on my blog. 1) Meeks 54 points are the most points in a regulation game in more than a decade. 2) Six Division I teams scored fewer points Tuesday night than Meeks. 3) No player from a BCS conference had scored this many points since Arizona State's Eddie House went for 61 against California in overtime in 2000. I was just happy to see while I was watching the game that his Wildcat teammates saw what was going on and kept feeding him the rock. "The zone" only happens to a person once in a while to most of us, I am glad to see that it happened to a person with such great character like Meeks.

3 comments:

Shorty said...

I meant to pick him up last week...but since I've only been posting the stats & standings every other week, I figured I'd wait till Friday when the next standings are posted...so much for that...

deez said...

ha ha!

Shorty said...

oh yeah...and I hate Lester Hudson too