Sunday, January 11, 2009

Celebrity Sighting

Way back when, I posted the first post of this title about a celebrity living in my hometown of Palm Coast. And I promised to you all that I would make a post whenever I came in contact with a celebrity of some sort. Well, there was another celebrity that was in my hometown this past week. Let me tell you about him and why he was here.

Last weekend when I returned back home the local youth soccer club, who had honored me at a city council meeting two weeks ago, held a clinic for anyone to attend. The celebrity guest that made the appearance for the clinic was LA Galaxy defender, Mike Randolph. Now, like most of you, I had no idea who he was, nor what in the world this guy looked like. Randolph, who is best friends with one of the coaches in the Flagler United soccer program, came as a favor to his buddy for free to teach kids the fundamentals of soccer for a weekend. It may not sound like much, but for any person...celebrity or not...to take his time to come over to little Flagler County and spend time with our youth is pretty special in my opinion. I got a chance to meet him Wednesday night when he came to my park to mess around with the kids one last time during their team practice. Randolph stands no taller than me. He flies like the wind though. Randolph makes up for his short stature in the MLS with his great foot work with the ball and his unreal quickness. Primarily used as a defender he also backs up David Beckham, which adds to his versatility on the soccer field. Randolph was raised in Chino Hills, CA and had been recruited to play soccer at UCLA, but he didn't meet the academic requirements to attend the school so he settle for a small junior college in Arizona. Randolph was a finalist for the USL First Division Rookie of the Year award in 2006 after his first season as a pro with the Portland Timbers. He was also a part of the United States U-23 team back in 2007.

Career MLS Stats

39 games-30 games started-0 goals-4 assists

No comments: