Thursday, October 9, 2008

League Championship Preview

Been working my ass off this week! I am stuck working the night shift (12-10) tonight and tomorrow pulling a double (7-9). But, hopefully the rain will keep up and I can come home for longer breaks and watch the MLB League Championship Series. I told my brother that if the Red Sox beat the Angels that tickets in Tampa would be outrageous. Well, I was correct! Not looking good for making the trip but we shall see. On to the previews...




DODGERS VS. PHILLIES - This series gets underway tonight with two pitchers that could quite possibly shut down their opponents, or get knocked out early. Cole Hamels, who was awful last year in the post season, as a big test facing Manny Ramirez and the rest of the right-handed batters for at least 2 games. Derek Lowe, who has been brilliant in his past 6 post season starts (4-0), was 5-6 this season on the road with close to 4.50. I always believe that the first game is always the most important, unless it goes to the 7th. And, in this series it is no difference. The Phillies, who haven't been to the World Series since the fatal Joe Carter shot, will have a crowd behind them that hasn't seen a title in their city in all the major sports since the Phillies won in 1980. And the Dodgers have been great since the addition of Ramirez, it almost seems to me that their line up starts with him, even though he sits in the 3 hole. No matter the outcome of the series both of these teams, with their performance this season, are deserving of a chance at a World Series title. This is a tough call, but I gotta make a decision. DODGERS IN 7




RED SOX VS. RAYS - Unless you live in California or Chicago, this will be the most watched series of the two. I really can't think of any team, as of late, making this kind of storied run in the post season in a while. The Rays, who have the home field advantage in this series, are looking to extend their season against a team in their own division in which they won the season series 10-8. I have been hating on the play of B.J. Upton down the stretch in the regular season, but he definitely stepped it up in the divisional round. The Red Sox is the most unhealthiest team left in the post season, yet they still are the dangerous. Their pitching rotation is step up beautifully, with stud lefty Jon Lester going game 3 at home and step up for a possible game 7 on the road. Two things that are going to be keys in this series are 1) Will the Rays bullpen handle the pressure in the late innings? and 2) Can the Red Sox win on the road?. Watching the Rays as of late I worry about their bullpen's confidence in pressure packed late innings. They have been shaky at best and the Red Sox had a few late inning comebacks against the Angels last series. With the Sox on the road, they only won once there. And let me tell you, as full as it will be with Red Sox fans at Tropicana Field, that place will be rocking Friday and Saturday night. Another tough call for me. If the Red Sox advance my pre season pick to win the World Series stays in tacked. If the Rays win...I win money from Vegas. I am cursed with betting so I am going to go with RED SOX IN 6