Thursday, October 23, 2008

Game 1 Recap


Since I really love baseball and hate to see it end I decided to add some more posts to my blog in the early morning hours with some comments after each game recapping the World Series. Hope that you enjoy!


You gotta hand it to Cole Hamels. Wasn't his best outing of the post season but he sure got some big out in big situations. Hamels has only given up 5 runs in 4 playoff games so far. He was my "Star of the Game" going 7 strong, with 5 ks. My "Disappointment of the Game" was Scott Kazmir, really haven't been thrilled with his performances this post season. He fell behind in the counts, and not concentrating on the batters with runners on base. And this worked to the Phillies favor by capitalizing on his inability to throw strikes. The bullpens were excellent last night for both teams which was nice to see on the Tampa Bay side. This game had many chances to go in another direction with the Phillies not cashing in on runs leaving 11 on base. What's with Ryan Howard? The MLB RBI leader this season only has 3 so far this post season, the Phils sure would like to see some production from the slugger. And for my readers that weren't sure with the call or non call, Hamels did indeed balk. Andy Pettitte would have even called that one. I really don't know how first base umpire Kerwin Danley didn't see that one. As Joe Madden said after the game, "That was a really good game tonight!". And for a game one I really couldn't disagree. As I was watching the game I was thinking to myself man this is an important game for the Phillies to win tonight, definitely more so than the Rays. Now the Rays are in a must win situation tonight.

No comments: