Monday, August 4, 2008

Weekend Review


Forget my random thoughts for a title today. With the way the weekend went in sports, the only thing that I can do is give a perspective on how the weekend went. Football, basketball, and baseball, and a choke job in golf headlines what went on this weekend.


You can say that I am bias if you want, but wasn't the applause that Art Monk received Saturday night at the Pro Football Hall of Fame ceremony absolutely incredible. For more than 4 minutes after his son introduced him to the microphone the crowd, which was like Darrell Green's son said 95% Redskin fans, gave the Hall of Fame committee their feeling on why it took so long for Monk to get in. Chants of "It's about time!" and "Eighty-One!" went on with what felt like forever, but in my opinion it was very much deserved. This man was never flashy. He went out and did is job the best he could every Sunday. And he was an amazing human being, with his contributions with the Good Samaritan Foundation. It was really a great day to be a Redskin fan on Saturday watching me and my Dad's favorite players get inducted to the Hall of Fame the same day.


As for the Hall of Fame game on Sunday night, it marked the first preseason game of the 2008 NFL season with the Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins. As like most of you, I am so sick of preseason football. It is such a tease to have a game this early when I know that the Redskins won't be playing their first regular season game until September 4th. I only watched the first quarter and when the HBO series Generation Kill was over I watched to see how Colt Brennan would do. Let me get this out there just so you know how I feel about how Brennan played. Though I am very, very impressed on his composure in the pocket and the way he was slinging the ball around...it is the PRESEASON! The Colts third team was out there, everyone needs to take it easy, been hearing too much about him today on ESPN.


Again, like an idiot, instead of going golfing I wanted to watch Phil Mickelson and see if he could pull out a victory with a lot of headliners on the leaderboard before the final major of the year, the PGA. And again, I was disappointed! Damn Phil, what is wrong with you? The last time I wrote about golf I mentioned that Greg Norman will never be able to change the way he is looked at on the golf course, and you are going in that same direction buddy! I have loved watching Mickelson play for as long as I can remember, because of his demeanor and the way he plays so aggressive. But, I am tired Phil! Do me a favor and don't make the cut next week and save me from sitting on the couch getting pissed off about something I have no control over.


Manny, Manny, Manny! Manny Ramirez did not let the Dodger faithful down in his weekend home debut in Los Angeles. Ramirez hit 2 dongs as well as beating out 2 infield hits. Playoffs in the horizon? I think so, as long as their starting pitching does the job. Because their lineup looks deadly and has a new energy with his name written in there.


USA Basketball team has been breezing through there exhibition games so far. But, like the NFL preseason these are exhibition games! There first game is against the host China team on Saturday, which should be interesting especially with the way the crowd is in that arena. One thing I heard on ESPN today is that even though Jason Kidd is starting he isn't seeing as much time as Chris Paul and Daron Williams. And this is a problem because? Look, Kidd is still a great player, but he is 37 and can not shoot like the other two. The international game needs to have good shooters on the floor especially with the way the court is smaller and the lack of man to man defense that the USA team will see. Kidd's a big boy, I am sure that this isn't a problem! Besides if they win the gold medal that is all that matters...right?


Brett Favre has been reinstated back to the NFL. YEAAAAA! Now we can all get some sleep...NOT! I give the Packers three days to make a decision on trading Favre to the Vikings, but that's just me. If he stays in Green Bay my decision on who I am keeping for my fantasy team will be get more difficult. Thanks Brett!

3 comments:

Shorty said...

Art Who?

Anonymous said...

Art Decco, of course!!
-Mif

Shorty said...

ohhh...see...I thought it was Artie Bucco from the Sopranos...