Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Best and The Worst

This week I am back with my best and worst draft picks for fantasy football this season. My team in the ever popular SFL is just about ready for our draft a week from today. This week my focus is on the tight end position. For my rivals in the SFL this will be my last fantasy football post before the draft, because I am in a hole already for draft day and I really don't need anyone stealing my picks in the major positions. Enjoy!


TIGHT ENDS


The tight end position has been going statistically up and up over the last couple of seasons with a nice tier of six players (Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Kellen Winslow, Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, and Chris Cooley) that everyone would like to get on their team. Unfortunately, in a ten or twelve team league not everyone can get those top players. Here's my best and worst tight ends you can get if your not lucky enough to get the top dogs.


BEST






1. TODD HEAP - I still have no idea why this guy still gets slept on! This season with the Ravens not knowing who their quarterback is, it really doesn't matter, because old reliable Todd Heap is back healthier than ever and will put up numbers that had him as a top 3 tight end three years ago.

2. TONY SCHEFFLER - Has an opportunity to have a tremendous season with the three game suspension of top wide out Brandon Marshall. I really like this guy and I don't think I have ever seen him drop a pass.

3. JEREMY SHOCKEY - Use to be a top 5 tight end, since then has had injuries and only 600 yards receiving in each of the last two seasons. Even though I think that his addition to the Saints helps Marques Colston more, Shockey could be back to his old self with former coach Sean Payton.

4. HEATH MILLER - Mr. Consistent has had more than 5 touchdowns in each of his first 3 seasons. Even with Hines Ward on his offense he is still the go-to guy for Pittsburgh in the redzone.

5. OWEN DANIELS - Eclipsed the 700 receiving yard mark in just his second season and could do better this season. Only factor is that he never seems to get into the endzone.


WORST




1. LEONARD POPE - For whatever reason, tight ends in the Arizona offense just don't do well. Pope only has 40 catches in 26 games and for the most part they have all been short yardage catches. DO NOT DRAFT CARDINAL TIGHT ENDS!!!

2. ALEX SMITH - Another good player just caught in the wrong system. If you are willing to put up with short yardage touchdowns then by all means take him.

3. DESMOND CLARK - Two words...Greg Olsen. Unless he gets traded stay away from him.

4. CHRIS BAKER - There is a reason why the Jets drafted a tight end in the first round this season. With two years remaining on a 6.6 million dollar contract, the Jets will be stuck with Baker.

5. ALGE CRUMPLER - Honestly I don't know why I am down on him I just think that he might be washed up, even though he is only 30. I could be wrong but I see less than 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in an injury filled season.

No comments: