Thursday, August 28, 2008

College Football Preview


As I probably mentioned a year ago this week, "I am so glad that football season has begun!". Between the NFL Draft, the Spring Game, summer workouts, then Pre-Season, tonight we can finally say football season has officially begun. College football kicks off tonight with the major game being Steve Spurrier's South Carolina Gamecocks verses a Bowl hopeful N.C. State team. This weekend though I am thoroughly excited about the great opening season game between #24 Alabama and #9 Clemson. Being in SEC country now, Clemson is probably the only other southern football program not in the SEC that I have a very high interest in this season. If they are not going to be "the team" this season than my promise is it will be next year.

Georgia, has we all know, is the pre-season #1 team which to me is highly unfair, for there sake. They have a tough enough season already, now you have that #1 in front of them everywhere you go. You can't tell me that their opponents won't be more amped to upset a #1 than say a #4, especially being in the SEC. Instead of giving you all a run down on the my top 25, and since my pre season predictions have been outstanding this past year in the major sports. I will give you who I think will make it to the major bowls at the end of the year and finally who I think is my sleeper teams and bust teams for the season. Enjoy tonight's start to the college football season and do not, I repeat, do not miss the Clemson/Alabama game Saturday night, you'll see why.



ROSE BOWL

PENN ST VS. USC - This is by all means not a homer call because I am taking classes at PSU this year. I really like JoePa and his offense this season but they will get absolutely destroyed by the Trojans in the Rose. USC will beat Ohio State the third game of the year but they will falter two games in conference which will cause them to lose the conference title.


ORANGE BOWL

CLEMSON VS. WEST VIRGINIA - The easiest bowl to predict. Clemson will win the ACC and West Virginia will win the Big East but they will only get as far as the Orange Bowl. Like I said at the start, really like the Tigers this year and next will beat the Mountaineers closer than some might think though.


SUGAR BOWL

MISSOURI VS. FLORIDA - Chase Daniel will lead his Tiger team all year till losing the Big 12 title. The Heisman Trophy candidate will play the former Heisman winner in Tim Tebow in what looks to me could be an absolute shootout. The Gator's defense will not be good this year but Tebow will keep them in every game and will keep us talking about a repeat Heisman all year. I like Missouri in this game.


FIESTA BOWL

GEORGIA VS. ARIZONA ST - The Bulldogs and SunDevils will run the table in their respected conferences, I would say easily but it won't be especially for Georgia in the tough SEC. I love Georgia this year, love 'em! But, I can't tell you that they will run the table even have a loss in the SEC...I just can't. I hope that I am wrong because they are good enough have a shot at the title. If we get rid of the BCS then we wouldn't have a great team like the Bulldogs on the outside looking in. Georgia will blow out Arizona St to try and swede voters but it won't work.


BCS CHAMPIONSHIP

OHIO STATE VS. OKLAHOMA - Two teams that have had problems in the past in the championship game won't have to play a SEC team this time. Hence the reason for a mini tourney, no SEC team in the championship will cause a huge uproar and I am all for it. Ohio State, who made the BCS title game the last two seasons might have their best team this season of the three. They will lose to USC, but since it is an early game they will run the rest of the table and get into the BCS game with one loss. The Sooners will be in the 2nd best conference this season and what helps them will be beating a Missouri team in the title game which will boaster them into the final.


OKLAHOMA - 42 OHIO STATE - 35


HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER - Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia


Sleeper teams:

1. Nebraska

2. Miami

3. Alabama


Busts:

1. Tennessee

2. Texas Tech

3.Wisconsin

No comments: