Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Best and The Worst

Back again after some time off reflecting on all that has happened with the Brett Favre situation with my best and worst fantasy sleepers. This week we go to the worst position for a fantasy team. How many weeks I have lost because my idiot kicker only had 3 or 4 extra points is remarkable, even for a terrible fantasy football guy like myself. Let's get right to it!


KICKERS

My personal opinion about kickers is that they really are all sleepers. At one point for three straight years I drafted the number 1 rated kicker in my fantasy football magazine. And all three didn't finish in the top 5 for total fantasy points. So what I will do is just give you the top 5 and worst five kickers to have this season.


BEST

1. NICK FOLK - The Pro-Bowl rookie last season was a scoring machine for a very potent offense. He hit on 83% of his FG attempts and made 53 extra points. I am looking for a similar output this season from the 23-year-old.

2. ROB BIRONAS - 35 for 39, 9-10 from 40 to 49 yards and 4-5 from over 50! The only problem I see with Bironas is the ability of the Tennessee offense to get in range for him, but does that really matter?

3. MASON CROSBY - Another rookie kicker last season, Crosby showed a lot of poise in Green Bay and with the offense losing big play slinger Brett Favre, look for a lot more attempts over 40 yards out.

4. STEPHEN GOSTOWSKI - A guaranteed 6 points a week with 74 EPs and a 87% rate on FG attempts.

5. JOSH BROWN - The former Seattle Seahawks will be in a dome in St. Louis this season and I am really looking at Brown putting up Pro-Bowl numbers this season.



WORST


1. JOE NEDNEY - The 49ers offense will not be that much better than last season. As a result Nedney might get 19 FGs instead of the 17FGs he got a year ago.
2. DAVID AKERS - His FG percentage has gone down the last three seasons and you can really notice his inability to hit 50 yarders. Turning 34 this season.
3. MATT STOVER - Very consistent the past 5 seasons but the inability of the offense and the lack of 50 yard attempts hurts his fantasy value.
4. JOHN KASAY - Only made the list because I believe that the Panthers will punch the ball in the endzone more often than in the past two seasons.
5. SEBASTIAN JANIKOWSKI - He is only at #5 for the reason that he can bang a 50 yarder every now and again (6 a year ago). But, his 71% and for the past two seasons worries me.

No comments: