Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend Review


Just when I start complaining that there is nothing on television anymore, we have a weekend of sports that absolutely makes you forget about baseball season being over. I never did a NBA Preview for my audience and since I have not yet looked at the standing I will give you one earlier today. But first, let's get right into my jammed weekend review.


What a game Saturday night! The month of November started off on the right foot, with arguably the best game of the sports year as the Red Raiders of Texas Tech scored the game winning TD with seconds left over the #1 team in the nation, the Texas Longhorns. The Red Raiders dominated the first half, but I had a feeling the Texas would make a run and that they did by scoring a go ahead touch down with less than 3 minutes to play. Then the nation got to see the best player in next year's NFL Draft make an unbelievable catch and run for the game winning score. Michael Crabtree is an amazing talent! His hands, footwork, and overall knack for finding the endzone could make him a very special player at the next level. I do not think that Texas Tech will end up running the table and head to the national championship, but they certainly gave us a great show on Saturday night.


I was asked last night by the writer over at BADCHOICEMILK if I was upset about Penn State getting screwed over the BCS polls that were posted last night. The Nittany Lions ended up staying in the third position, while Texas Tech jumped up to the two spot and Alabama took control of number one. Why would I be upset? It is still early and even being a Big Ten guy my entire life, you have to side with the BIG 12 and SEC. As much as I wanna see Joe Pa in the National Championship game, it will not be fair. The Big Ten is clearly not a powerful conference like the BIG 12 or SEC, and it will really be a crime if the winner of each conference doesn't play in the BCS title game. If in fact say an SEC team doesn't make it, a small tournament will have to be put in place next year. SOMETHING WILL FINALLY HAVE TO BE DONE!!!


The NFL had some great games last night and has continued to surprise me with the way some teams are playing this season. This year has truly been a weird season. I have find come to gripes with the fact that I shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens the rest of this season. The Tennessee Titans are 8-0! The Atlanta Falcons have 5 wins! My pre season pick to go to the Super Bowl, Jacksonville Jaguars are 3-5! And the AFC East is just as competitive as any other division in the league, except of course the NFC West! The Dolphins went into Denver and beat a Broncos team that had the best offense in the league after two weeks, and they looked really good too! The Cowboys are struggling and now are in deep trouble of not making the playoffs. Tonight, is a huge game for us Redskin fans as the Pittsburgh Steelers come into town. I am going to get as much stuff done around the house early so I can sit and watch pre game for 3 hours.


Even though the week isn't over, my fantasy football team in the SFL got another win even with Jason Campbell and Santana Moss in the line up for tonight's game. I basically played the entire Chicago Bears team (smart move Chet), with Kyle Orton who left the game early. Bernard Berrian and my rookie stud Chris Johnson pace my team again this week. It still makes me laugh when I heard people on draft day make fun of me for drafting Johnson in the 4th round. I have a very tough week next week when I face the team that defeated me in the post season last year, and ended up winning the league. My record now stands at 5-3-1 with no room for error with the last place team in my division at 5-4.


Finally, Tim and I had our second tennis match of the early tennis season yesterday morning. I am not as sore as the first match, but I am extremely disappointed with the outcome. With the match tied at one set apiece, I found myself down 5 games to 1 in the third set. Well, your boy came back and brought the set to a tie breaker, where good old Timmy defeated me in the tie breaker 7-2. Absolutely spent from the comeback in the third set, my energy was gone, as I did not have enough in the tank to pull out the forth set. So Tim ended up winning the match 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3 to even the score on the tennis season at 1 to 1. I am convinced that Tim knew exactly what he was doing in the third set, by draining me out! So, our next match it will not be a friendly one!

No comments: