Friday, November 14, 2008

College Basketball Week

Continuing with college basketball this week, I am going with a little fantasy style today. I have heard enough hate on my College Basketball Team that I put together at BadChoiceMilk and I had enough. So today I am going to give you my reasons for the starting five and a few other players that you may not have ever heard from because they are from small schools. For tomorrow, I will be posting my Final Four teams with the NCAA Champ, as well as, my 1st and 2nd team All-Americans with an All-Freshman team. Enjoy!



1ST PICK (4TH OVERALL)
GUARD - LESTER HUDSON - This was really a no brainer after Stephen Curry, Luke Harangody, and Tyler Hansbrough were off the board. Hudson, out of the University of Tennessee-Martin decided last season not to hire an agent for the NBA Draft just in case, so to improve his draft stock he decided to come back and play an extra year for the Skyhawks. He became the first Division I player to record a quadruple-double back in mid-November. And what sold me to taking him first was him finishing in the top 10 nationally in scoring (25.7), steals (2.8), and threes (3.8) per game. Done deal, starting my team with a can't miss.







2ND PICK
FORWARD MARQUS BLAKELY - The America East Conference has never seen a player like this. Some of you snow birds in the Northeast must have heard of this guy. This was a tough call because Blakely, from Vermont, was injured for the most of December and through March. He is only a junior, and plays a lot bigger than his 6'5'' frame. You probably won't get a grasp of how good this kid is until the America East Championship game, but playing hurt last season and still leading the league in ppg (19.0), rbs (11.0), and blocks (2.72) leads me to believe that he is the complete package for a college bball fantasy team. If he stays healthy the trophy is mine.






3RD PICK
GUARD DEVAN DOWNEY - The junior guard from South Carolina is quite possibly the best point guard in the nation, unfortunately he plays for a not so good team. Maybe that's why his numbers are ridiculous. What bothered me about this pick was that I didn't want to have to take a guard at this pick because I had one in mind in the last round. But, I couldn't pass up on this guy who was the best player on my board. Downey, a transfer from Cincinnati has been nothing short of tremendous since coming to the Gamecocks. His quickness and scoring ability is very similar to a guy that plays for a bigger team in a different Carolina (Ty Lawson). Hopefully his assists per game go a little higher from a year ago (5.4), but I am happy with this selection.




4TH PICK
CENTER BJ MULLENS - My apologies to BJ for the awful picture. Looking at my centerless team, since the top tier ones were gone, I notice that Shorty (BADCHOICEMILK) was without a center as well. So instead of waiting for my final pick to grab one, I stole Mullens before the Ohio State fan had a chance to get him. Mullens, a freshman Buckeye will be a beast, the only question will be for how long. He is a local product and was atop the nationally recruiting list by Rivals.com. He's not your everyday big man either, the kid can score! So, if I am going to have a problem in my assist category, might as well take a 7-footer that can block and score. Thanks again Shorty!



5TH PICK
FORWARD JON RODRIGUEZ - I gotta admit, I found him on Draft Day, knew nothing about him, and honestly didn't want to take another kid from a Mid-Major program. The guy I really wanted is still out there so my options are still open. But, I will give this kid from Campbell University a shot. All I know about the kid is that he is the best player in the Atlantic Sun Conference and he plays the forward position very, very well. 21 pts and 10 boards a game last year convinced me. If it doesn't work than a change will be made.
Other stud players that put up serious numbers that you might not have heard of:
Lee Cummard -BYU
David Holston - Chicago State
Josh Akognon - Cal State Fullerton
Robert Vadon - UAB
Dior Lowhorn - San Francisco
Jermaine Taylor - Central Florida
Geoff Payne - Southern Utah

1 comment:

Shorty said...

Dick...Head...

watch out for the kid from Mt. St. Mary's also...he'll be my first pickup if my guards don't produce...