Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Week Full of Movies


This past Monday I was a bum. Not just any bum, but really the most productive thing I did that day was take a trip to Jacksonville. Even that was exhausting! So I got to J-ville, which by the way has a buzz throughout the city with the big game this weekend, and went to the movies and saw Charlie Wilson's War. Good movie, not great. Hilarious at times, very informative about the rise and fall during the Cold War that many Americans had no idea about, including myself. The acting was absolutely incredible though! Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were both nothing short of phenomenal. Even Julia Roberts, who I am not that big of a fan of her acting, was pretty impressive. I would recommend everyone to see this film just for the great history lesson that you would get from the film.



So when I got to my brother's place, my bro had Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End saved on his DVR. The third film thus far for this great Pirate movie that has brought great imagination and incredible special effects that has had my attention throughout this awesome trilogy. Johnny Depp put on another great performance as Captain Jack Sparrow and as most of you may or may not know is one of my favorite characters in film making. If you saw the first two movies, do not waste any time to see this one.



Getting back home on Tuesday brought me more joy of doing absolutely nothing for a couple more hours that day. Being a customer of Netflix has given me the ability to see movies that are older, Oscar nominators, Oscar winners, and comedies that I have just never got around to see. Well the next movie that was on my queue, was the ever famous and in some peoples eyes as one of the best films ever...Citizen Kane. Directed by a 26-year-old by the name of Orson Welles back in May of 1941. Yes, I watched a two hour movie that was made in 1941 and you know what the critics were right, this film was excellent. The jumping back and forth to this person's life good and bad for that time in the movie industry was absolutely genius. Most of my readers probably won't see this film, but I'll tell ya you'll be missing out on seeing a great classic!

So that was my weekend Monday and Tuesday, full of great acting and powerful movies that I was happy to see. Everyone needs a day (or two) like that, now I need to run 5 miles because I think that I gained 20 pounds those two days!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,

Haven't looked at you blog in a while. I just saw "At World's End"

AWESOME. Reports say that Depp wants to get another Trilogy going in another time and place with the "jack sparrow" character. This will work great especially since Knightley and Bloom aren't resigning. So new characters and a fresh story will be like a whole new series rather than a sixtology like Rocky or Star Wars.

Also. Here's a dare. I doubt you'd do it because you couldn't admit to it. But I dare you to make a top 10 tear-jerker movies of all time.

I'd have to think about it but definitely not afraid to admit it but Field of Dreams and Antwone Fisher are going to be my top 2.