Thursday, January 17, 2008

Greatest Season of All-Time

I am sure that most of you sports fanatics have heard about ESPN posting the greatest season of all time. With all the talk about what a special season Tom Brady is having it is hard to not talk about the greatest season by a single player. As most of my ideas about blogging comes from ESPN, I would like to give you my favorite season by an athlete, any athlete, before the turn of the century. Since in most sports the game has changed dramatically through either rules of the game or just overall athleticism. Over the next couple of weeks when I don't have anything to write about, I will give you my countdown of my 20 favorite individual seasons by athletes before the year 2000. Without further ado, here's number 20-




LAWRENCE TAYLOR - The first real L.T. had such an incredible year for a defense men in 1986. Being a leader of great defensive team in the New York Giants, he accounted for 20.5 sacks that season. On top of that, Taylor recorded 105 tackles, 5 pass deflections, and 2 forced fumbles. As a Washington Redskins fan I couldn't stand L.T. but not once did I ever doubt his talents on the field. The All-American at UNC was awarded the Defensive Player of the Year award that season but also became the first defensive player since Alan Page of the Minnesota Vikings to win the NFL Player of the Year award. Oh, on top of all his individual achievements that season he also helped the Giants win Super Bowl XXI. Taylor was a tremendous defensive player that ultimately changed the way the game was played on the other side of the ball.

No comments: