Thursday, January 10, 2008

Joe Gibbs Retires...Again!



A little more than four years ago I was driving a delivery on 95 North when I turned on ESPN radio and I heard the best news that I've heard in years being a Redskin fan. They announced that Joe Gibbs was coming back to coach in Washington for a second time. All I cared about at that point in time was, "Yes! The Redskins are going to be back in the playoffs!" Well, he only got them there twice in four seasons going 1-2 in those playoffs. Gibbs has been taking a lot of heat for his retirement a year earlier than what he signed his contract for. But, I honestly believe that he was brought back to Washington to save a franchise for the gutter that they were in and bring in some stability to a team that was changing head coaches as often as I change my underpants. I really can't fault Gibbs for wanting to leave after this season with the emotional roller coaster ride the team went through with a death of a player, injuries to key starters, and more importantly his a grandson that has suffered all year with leukemia. The first time that Gibbs retired was to spend more time with his family, with his excuse for leaving being the same this go around its hard to argue this time is fine. Having to go through a player's death, and as most athletes will tell you, you are a family when you put in time with your teammates all year. And, he had to see first hand Sean Taylor's girlfriend, mother, father, and other family members mourn a loss and Gibbs I think just thought that being 67, he needs his family more than ever. So good luck with the rest of your life Coach Gibbs you certainly will be missed. You are and always will be Washington Redskin Football.

No comments: