Saturday, January 19, 2008

Greatest Season of All-Time

Over the next couple of weeks during my free time I will be giving you my top 20 favorite individual season for an athlete before the 21st century. Number 20 was Lawrence Taylor in 1986, who will be the only football defense men to make my list. Number 19 we are going to 1988 and the only woman to make my list.




In 1988 the tennis world witnessed something that can only be done every four years, but if this does happen again at least she was the first. Steffi Graf, who I remember was really unstoppable in her prime won all four Grand Slam titles during the '88 tennis season but that wasn't all, she also won a gold medal in the '88 Olympics in Seoul. I know that this is women's tennis I am writing about, and I might lose the few readers that I have, but really think about it, how dominate Graf really was to do this. She finished the tennis season with a 72-3 record and at one point won 46 straight matches. She also won 11 other singles titles and when she won Wimbledon, she beat Martina Navratilova who had won the previous 6 titles at the famous England club. The only woman to make my list and I feel that it is very well deserved.

No comments: