Saturday, December 8, 2007

B-Ball Season has Officially Begun!


For me basketball season doesn't officially begin until there is a full schedule of college basketball games on Saturday afternoons. You can throw away the month of November in my book. The polls mean nothing, the predictions mean nothing, you can't get a real feeling for the players yet, and really all the teams are 0-0 until I can watch them on a regular basis and have my own analysis on each team. Today I got to come home from work and watched the great finish to the Arizona/Illinois game that ended with Zona coming out on top in overtime. I am currently watching the Michigan/Duke game(Duke does get all the calls)and being a Michigan fan and I realize this is a very young team, thank you Tommy Amaker, I am proud of my boys even though they are down 18 at the half at Cameron Indoor. But really, college basketball on Saturday afternoons from December to early March is the best. I can remember as a kid, I would put up with the cold and go play some ball early in the morning or go to the Boys Club or Platt, Maloney, or Wilcox and hit the gym and get out of there just in time to catch the games on the tube. Wheather it was some great Big East teams clashing, or an SEC/Big 12 matchup, or the Duke/UNC rivalry game, or my favorite watching the Fab 5, who got CBS coverage constantly during their run(that never happened). One of the most fondest memory, though not a good one, was when I saw Hank Gathers collapse on the court one Saturday afternoon, a day that I will never forget. But, by far the most enjoyable would be when my long-time buddy and writer of BadchoiceMilk, Chris and I, would go hit up a package store and Subway just in time for the 12 o'clock game and finish the 30-pack in his parents basement, even though we would get ridiculed by his parents and brother, before we met the guys out for the night. Well, college basketball is here now and I will be giving up to date analysis as much as possible because this is by far my favorite time of the year. Enjoy your Saturdays!

1 comment:

Shorty said...

Dude...how clutch was it when we used to sit in my basement for six straight hours watching college hoops and getting hammered? Remember the sick Beeramid we made during championship week on the coffee table that one year? Damn...I miss those days buddy...Thanks for bringin up the gr8 memories Deez!