Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Deserved Better


One of the classiest players in my generation of watching sports has been and always will be Grant Hill. Despite his ability to stay healthy, Hill has never gave the public grief or displayed classless acts to the teams that payed him tons of money and could never step on the floor for them. If anything Hill has showed alot of character through his career by taking pay cuts and while injured spent countless time with the team(s) city's communities. For a man not being able to play the game he loves because of numerous setbacks from ankle surgeries, he has tried his best to stay positive and has handled the stress and his adversity with class. With that, I try not to watch to much of the NBA this early but something caught my attention in the NBA section of the local paper this past Sunday that put a bad taste in my mouth. Hill, who is now a Phoenix Sun this season, played the past 7 seasons for the Orlando Magic and his new team came to Orlando Saturday night to face his old team. With that being said you would think that the Magic fans would give Hill a nice ovation upon his return after the time spent with a team that has been through ups and downs just like Hill. Instead the Magic faithful booed Hill during the introduction, and whenever he touched the ball and made a basket. Are you kidding me? The former Duke Blue Devil and lottery pick who was not even offered a chance back with the team this past off season got booed...for what may I ask? If I was not wanted at my place of work and I loved what I was doing I'd go elsewhere too. The Magic fans made remarks doing the game about his ankle, and proved themselves to be as classless as Hill has been classy over the years. If it wasn't for his injuries Hill would be a sure fit for the Basketball Hall of Fame, but he's not going to be and that he has to deal with. And does he go out and feel sorry for himself and does nothing while being paid to be injured...no. He goes out and lowers his contract for the best of the team, does community service projects in the Orlando area, and going out and being everything that you want as a professional athlete away from the court. Orlando Magic guard Jameer Nelson was quoted after the game saying, "It was tough to hear that. I definitely didn't agree with that at all. He has never did anything wrong." Hill as professional as possible stayed away from commenting on the boos after the game. I am sure that he was hurt, more than any ankle injury ever gave him. Way to go Orlando!

No comments: