Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tyler Hansbrough's Legacy


After another successful season of The Nutz predicting a champion in a pre season post, in North Carolina, I can't help to remember that I picked them to win the last two years. The main reason why is I had all the confidence in the world with the man pictured above. I have never ever been a bad critic of him, instead I have embraced all is positives and stayed away from the negatives. Today, the ESPN radio show Mike and Mike in the Morning asked the question I never even thought about.

"Is Tyler Hansbrough on UNC's all-time 1st team?"

Tough question? I think not. Here's his credentials:

All-American 1st team 07, 08, 09
All-American 2nd team 06
Naismith Player of the Year 2008
ACC Player of the Year 08,
All-ACC 1st team 06, 07, 08, 09
Most career point in ACC history
And now a National Championship

Hansbrough is the epitome of what a college basketball player is. Night in and night out he comes to play. He leaves it all on the floor. He came back for one reason, win a National Championship. It wasn't about the scoring record, or more personal achievements. It was about one last run with his coach and his teammates. I am not at all talking about what this kid can do at the next level, that's for another day. But, I will say this, I wouldn't doubt him at the next level. Even with all his achievements from his freshman year, he has progress into one of the more dominate players in NCAA history. He might not look good doing it, but he always got the job done. In this day of the college basketball player, you don't find many that have enormous talent that want to stick around for all 4 years. I will say this, you will never again see another kid like Tyler Hansbrough and for this reason he has to be on UNC's all-time team. So thank you Tyler it certainly has been our pleasure.


My all-time North Carolina team:

G - Kenny Smith, 1984-87

G - Michael Jordan, 1982-84

F - James Worthy, 1980-82

F - Antawn Jamison, 1996-98

F - Tyler Hansbrough, 2006-09


No comments: