Thursday, July 3, 2008

Random Thoughts Today


Feels like forever since I last did one of these. With lots of thunderstorms filled with lightning that past week, so I have been stuck in the house catching up on the world of sports. This will be my last post until the weekend, so to all my readers have a safe July 4th!

The first thought that I have today will shock everyone of my readers. I can not believe that I am actually posting this because of the ridicule that I will take for it, but here it goes. Tomorrow night, I will be attending my first NASCAR Race in Daytona. That's right! It is the Winn Dixie 250 that will be televised on ESPN. Now let me put this out there right now, I AM NOT A NASCAR FAN! My neighbor yesterday told me if I was to ever see a race for really cheap, with big names racing in it tomorrow night is the night. I said no at first. But, he was pretty convincing. He told me that watching a race in Daytona for racing fans is like watching a World Series game at Yankee Stadium, you just have to be there. Plus he told me that we can bring beer/alcohol into the track in a little cooler, and that really sold me! I am actually kind of looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about. The Pitbull has already told me that I am gone to him now, so I am ready for any razing that anyone wants to give. So if you are interested, the race starts at 8:00 on ESPN and if your looking for me, I'll be the drunk guy making out with a 18-year-old redneck chick...wait there might already be a few of those...damn, I am turning into a redneck!

This morning I do my usual routine, shit...shower...shave, then put on ESPNEWS. And what do you know, my Tampa Bay Rays did pull out the victory last night giving them a three and a half game lead over the swept Red Sox. You gotta love the Rays! Worst record last year to first place in the AL East heading into the All-Star break. This is so awesome. It was hard early on not to get on the bandwagon , but now it is just so sweet hanging on for the ride. One thing that got me thinking while they were coming back against a horrid Boston bullpen last night. How many All-Stars does this team have? They won't be getting any starters so it will be in the hands of Boston manager Terry Francona. Great! They could easily get 6 players in my opinion but I know that they won't. Maybe they will only get 2, and then the rest of the team will play for pride the rest of the year and win the American League Pennant (I placed a bet in Las Vegas, 25-1 shot for the Rays to win the Pennant).

Did anyone in their right mind watch the entire show of I Survived a Japanese Game Show. God knows that I could not. This show won't last a month. It is nothing like the great MXC that my crew use to watch every Thursday night and Saturday night before we went out to the clubs. Man that show is great. I still find it sometimes late at night on Spike but you rarely find it as much as you did years ago. My favorite event of the show was easily the spinning obstacle course that was above water the the contestants had to leap over obstacles and land staying balanced on the spinning platform. How no one died on that show is beyond me.

I am sure that most of my readers are tired of hearing about Brett Favre. Well, I will make this short. I realize that he is hurting the Green Bay Packers and not to mention Aaron Rodgers, with his inability to make a decision. But, really folks if he wants to play who honestly are we to say yes or no. If the Packers don't want to deal with it they can tell him to go elsewhere, otherwise just put up with it. The guy has done more for your franchise than you could have ever imagined.

Finally, for a little Olympic update. I just finished reading an article by Pat Forde about the Men's Swimming team, on how the happiest people in the world are the ones that are finishing second just to make the team and move on to Beijing in August. Why you ask? Because everyone of them that finish second is living their dream while a good swimmer that finishes third has to stay home and watch. It's unfortunate, because really in 8 of the events, 7 swimmers are fighting for one spot, because 8 races are those that have Michael Phelps in them and he will win them all. Just because..."He's good!".

No comments: