Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fifteen Years of The Sandlot


I got great responses so far with my first post of my tribute to one of my favorite baseball movies, The Sandlot. It has been fifteen years that we have had the opportunity to watch this great movie that reminds us of our youth. Yesterday I wrote about first baseman Timmy Timmons. Today, how can I write about Timmy and not write about his brother the next day. Without further ado, here's player #2 from the starting line up from the sandlot.


TOMMY TIMMONS - The starting right fielder for the team, was my least favorite player on the team, that really could have cost them the game against the home town little league team. Honestly Tommy, who bunts in a pick up baseball game? They show the highlights of the game in the movie and show you trying to bunt your way on, come on dude! And you ran around the bases like a "L7 weenie". To top things off, in Little League your left and right outfielders are distinguished as so:
left field=not an athlete -- right field=not a baseball player
Scott Smalls was the starting left fielder which I am fine with, and even show him hitting in the big game. While you are the right fielder and clearly are on the team because of your brother, who you constantly repeat every time the poor kid talks, "And actually played with it?!". How you weren't a bigger dork than "Smalls" in the movie is beyond me. Your wardrobe was bad, even for the 1960s. The best part was when your brother finally told you to "shut up, Tommy!" towards the end of the movie. Tommy, was played by child actor Shane Obedzinski, the current 26-year-old ultimately made his final appearance on the big screen after this movie. Obedzinski, was also in tiny roles in the movies: Cop and 1/2, Hidden Fears, and My Girl. Like they said at the end of the movie, the two brothers started out small, designing playground equipment and prefabricated tree houses. The Timmons brothers eventually became the first architects to build the mini-mall. My guess is that Tommy never left Timmy's side until they built their mini-malls and ended up killing Timmy's future wife because he still couldn't let go of his big brother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how great the rest of the roster will be considering that tommy is the worst on the team.