Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Weekend Review


I am going to have to make this summary pretty quick and vague today, only because I am going to be concentrating on my finals this week. I am hoping that my brother will pick it up a notch, since I have been receiving requests for more math problems. A ton went on this weekend including another personal accomplishment for myself. Enjoy the week!


The BCS in my opinion won again! The two teams in that won the best conferences in the nation this season will be facing each other for the BCS Championship on January 8th. Instead of complaining about Ohio State getting a BCS bid over Boise State or Alabama going from a chance at the national title to playing Utah, I have to write about today something that I have never discussed until Sunday with the Pitbull. Why on Earth in the national championship game being played on January 8th? What ever happened to everyone playing before my birthday (January 2nd)? MONEY...is the only answer. The top officials that keep arguing that a playoff would extend the season longer and take away from the kids in school have no answer for this. We still have games on the 2nd and the 3rd (maybe another day not sure). What a crock! One week after the 1st of the year is the national championship. College football is getting worse and worse after the regular season comes to an end.

The Michigan Wolverines basketball team defeated the Duke Blue Devils for the first time since 1997 on Saturday. I gotta say that John Beilein is doing one hell of a job with his talent this season. His 1-3-1 extended zone is phenomenal. An his inside outside offensive sets that get the balls to the right guys (Manny Harris and DeShaun Sims) in the right spots baffles me. This is something I haven't seen from this program in a very long time. Beating two #4 ranked teams in the early season is pretty damn impressive so far (UCLA the other). It would be nice if they can keep it up during conference play, but we will have to wait and see.

The playoff picture is getting more and more interesting in the NFL each week. The Eagles coming through with an impressive victory over the Giants really makes things interesting in the NFC with the G-men playing the Panthers in two weeks which may determine home field advantage. It looks to me that the wild card births in both conferences won't be determined until the final week of the season which makes for great drama down the stretch.

Manny Pacquiao's impressive victory over the Golden Boy, Oscar De La Hoya was an absolute clinic. Him moving up in weight really showed his power and that his quickness would not be lost. I don't know of anyone that would really want to fight this guy at this weight now. Rickey Hatton would be the only one that would take on the Philippineo, but that is all.

Finally, for the second consecutive season my fantasy football team clinched the Wild Card title in The SFL. Since leaving Connecticut, Florida has been a very successful location for Deez Boyz. A record of 16-10-2 in the Sunshine State the past two years is pretty impressive for a two year stretch in our competitive fantasy league. Riding the back of League MVP Drew Brees I have been also fortunate to have rookie Chris Johnson come up big in spots as well. But I am a realist, my team only goes as far as Brees takes them. So this Thursday night when the Saints travel to Chicago my hopes of advancing to the Championship game will lie in that game. I will be playing my bitter rival BadchoiceMilk who has defeated me twice during the regular season already. If you look at the teams that made the postseason in my league you really get the sense that it is quarterback friendly with Brees, Tony Romo, Peyton Manning, and Jay Cutler all bringing their teams to the postseason. Wish me luck and hopefully we will start the week off on the right foot Thursday night.

1 comment:

Shorty said...

I'd wish you luck...but it seems as though you already have this thing in the bag...congratulations buddy!