Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Things Looking Up?

After Thursday night's game between the Saints and the Bears, I saw my hopes to advance to my fantasy football league title game fade because of the display by Drew Brees. For the second consecutive year, I have made the playoffs in fantasy football to have my quarterback in both seasons put up terrible numbers. Oh well, now I can watch the Redskins in peace...wait...can't do that either. It is one thing that I was right about Jason Campbell and his performances, but to see the running game falter and watch how this team went from 6-2 then go to 7-7 with their only victory against the Seahawks, really hurts. I thought that it really might be time to just pack it in for the football season. Feeling miserable and the confidence level at an all-time low, with a huge final for me on Friday morning, I couldn't possibly believe that things could get better, or could they...

Friday I took my final exam and passed it (barely), but aced an essay that was due last week but had not yet been graded yet. Later I checked to see what my final grade was it said that I finished with a B! So far so good one more class to go. I had an outline due for my final project, that had to do with setting up a presentation to a local gardening group about the threat of chemicals damaging their plants or themselves. Found out on Sunday that I was awarded a 97 for my efforts on the outline which gave me an 87 for the semester, YES ANOTHER B!!!

Feeling much better going into the weekend, picking the winner of the Heisman wasn't enough, but just to be in Florida and listening to local radio stations about Tim Tebow getting snubbed absolutely made my day. Look the man is a saint, I got it! But, he was not deserving of the Heisman this year, and the Gator nation needs to stop referring to him as one of their own, because all of you do not know him personally. He'll probably win it next season, but as for this year he wasn't worthy of the award as Sam Bradford.

Finally, feeling good late Sunday afternoon and being content with losing in fantasy football after the 1 o'clocks the rest of the day felt much better. Monday morning comes with a nice hang over, to my boss calling me. I see his name on my phone, and my first thought was not to answer because he is going to ask me to work tonight. Monday is my first day off in a while where I didn't have to do any school work, so going into work Monday was not going to happen especially with my trip back to Connecticut in the mist. But, I answered anyway. My boss told me that I have to attend a Town Council Meeting Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock. Not knowing what the meeting was for, he told me to make sure that I wore my cleanest work outfit. Now I am curious. I ask my boss what the meeting is for and he continued to tell me that I am being honored in front of the mayor, Town Council members, and on the public access station.
"WHAT!!!?"
Yesterday morning I was honored for my services to the local soccer club and was highly talked about from the president of the soccer club to the mayor and the council members. I received a plaque, and had my picture taken with the mayor. It was a nice moment to be recognized for my efforts in the community. Most people will say to you that you are doing a great job, but really say it to make themselves feel better. To have someone appreciate you like this was very overwhelming, and I would like to thank Rich Weber and the entire Flagler United Soccer Club for this recognition. I would also like to thank Jeremy Kitson and Rich Marcy for their emails and discussions about me to my director of the Parks and Recreation Dept. It looks like I am finally heading in the right direction and it feels great.

Unfortunately, being my father's son, I can't help but to think that I am bound to be hit by a car soon or getting a snake bite in the park!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Deez, keep up the good work. Maybe they'll promote you to work the football fields next season. Maybe they'll let you pick out the flower arrangements for Penn State's trip to the Rose Bowl! One can dream, can't he?
-Mif
P.S. What's up with them Math questions Timmy, you're slackin'.

Shorty said...

Congrats Deez...sorry i had to sweep you this year...I'm sure Curt will destroy me this week if it's any consolation...