Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Random Thoughts Today

It's Wednesday, and my schoolwork has been building up. I am going to try and get it all done with before the weekend so i don't cram it all in on Sunday morning. Before I head to work I wanted to get into some random thoughts for today, something that I haven't done in a while. So I have a lot on my mind.


Within the last year or so bloggers, writers, and people in the media have been talking about shortening up the pre-season and adding games to the regular season. With so many injuries just in the first week alone, how can we actually do both. I definitely agree with shortening up the pre-season to two games. But, an eighteen game regular season might be brutal to players. In only one week of games we saw a three time Super Bowl champ go down and out for the year (Tom Brady), a Defensive Player of the Year out for the year (Shawn Merriman), an offensive Rookie of the Year in just his third season go down for a couple of weeks (Vince Young), and a #1 receiver on the most potent offense in the NFC go down for at least 4 weeks (Marques Colston). These are all marque names in marque places and we as fans need to see these players on the field. I think that the NFL will be smart and leave the regular season at 16 games. But as far as the pre-season is concerned, they really need to cut it down.

Just when you think last night that the Tampa Bay Rays are going to be washed up after not only squandering a 3-2 lead in the eighth inning to the Boston Red Sox last night but watching their five and a half game lead go down to a half a game, they make you change your mind about them...again. Jonathan Papelbon, one of the top closers in the game, comes in in the ninth to shut the door on the Rays and bring Boston to first place in the AL East for the first time since July and he loses the lead. The pesky Rays who have not beaten the Sox in Boston this season came from behind in the ninth scoring two runs off Papelbon and ultimately escapes Boston last night with a victory. The Rays really needed this win especially off Papelbon. Now with some confidence in them, maybe this will get the Rays going for the rest of the season. And remember they have been without Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria and now B.J. Upton all week. If you haven't been watching the Rays all year you gotta wonder to yourself..."Who the hell are these guys?"


Another star is back from retirement in a sport that is irrelevant to most of the sports viewers in our nation. Lance Armstrong is back, and now training for the 2009 Tour de France. Turning 37 next month, Lance is coming back and we as a country can care for one more year about cycling. Yippie!

I haven't watched to many good movies or shows on television lately. America's Got Talent has caught my attention again this season but it almost seems to me that the only way to move on in the competition is to be a singer. They are currently with their top 20 this week and will dwindle down to 10 after tonight's episode. My guess is that 8 of the 10 that make it on will all be singers. But, for me thank god The Office starts back up tomorrow night. This show is really what has been missing in my life. Easily the funniest show I have seen on primetime in years!

Finally, football season has started and usually by this time of the year I am very frustrated with my teams: Michigan, Washington Redskins, and my fantasy team. But, after two weeks I am only frustrated with one of the three. My Redskins almost gave me a heart attack watching them the other night so it is safe to say that I will be more relaxed watching them because I know how sh*tty they are. As far as Michigan is concerned, I could be frustrated with them but why would I? There quarterback situation stinks and they still managed to almost come back and beat Utah and beat Miami, Ohio last week. It will take some time for Rich Rodriguez to get his kids to buy into the system, so I will give him some leeway...except verse Notre Dame this weekend, now that team stinks. For my fantasy team in the SFL, again I wasn't expecting much out of them but having Drew Brees on your team this season will be huge for me (PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T GET HURT), I almost didn't keep the guy either. My running backs came up big for me especially the emergence of Chris Johnson in Tennessee. I watched the entire game and let me tell you, this kid is good! I will look like a genius if they get that fat ass Lendale White of the field and keep Johnson in the game, because it looks to me that he can be a star. Hopefully, my team comes up big again this week against my hated rival over at BadchoiceMilk!!!

No comments: