Thursday, August 30, 2007

US Open




Today, I came home from work and was flipping through the channels and I found the US Open on USA Network. Then, something came over me. I forgot that we will not be seeing Andre Agassi at The Open again. Agassi would be one of the only reason I would even consider watching tennis. His stardom and charisma out on the court was something magical. He would win the crowd over the moment the match begun. Men's tennis, United States tennis, needs another Agassi. So I thought while watching Andy Roddick this afternoon, when is this guy going to step it up and be that guy. I realize that Roger Federer is an amazing tennis player, but us Americans need Roddick to start taking his game to the next level. With only the US Open as his only Grand Slam title, back in 2003, and a runner up in 2006, we need him to stay more and more consistent with his play and start pushing the top dogs and give us Americans something to cheer about in tennis again. I realize that I might be picking on the kid a little since he is currently ranked 5th in the world rankings, but I am looking for more. Maybe its that I want someone from the United States to start making a push at the Europeans that are dominating the sport. At least when Agassi wasn't winning it was another American that was in Pete Sampras. So by the way, Happy 25th Birthday Mr. Roddick, I will be pushing for you again in another tournament, because you are the only American hope for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deez, I expect predictions for the Midland Invitational once teams are posted...........

Anonymous said...

WOW, you must be gay if you are talking about tennis

Anonymous said...

That wasn't me who wrote that last comment, but he's right. American tennis has become about as unimportant as the Tour De France w/o Lance. Did I just type that? I'm sorry, that was pretty gay too. -Pitbull

deez said...

first off i know that that was adam who wrote it. second, i know that you would check out the us open marc if some americans were more involved. this is a sports blog and i'll be as gay as i want to if you don't agree what i am writing about!!!

Shorty said...

Deez...I appreciate good mens tennis also...James Blake's 5 set win the other night was awesome...i got your back brotha!

Anonymous said...

Your right, w/o Agassi it just isn't worth watching. I flip on the womens side to see if there are yummies playin.-Pitbull