Monday, June 16, 2008

What a Weekend!


Is there anything better than sitting your ass on a couch with a beer in hand watching sports all day long? Sunday afternoon was filled with a great variety of sporting events that even a avid sports fan like myself was tossed up between what to watch. Saturday wasn't half bad either! My remote control was working overtime after 5 o'clock Sunday and I am sure that when I use it at some point today the batteries will be worn out. On top of all of this I was seriously hung over, and went swimming with my cell phone Saturday night. So I couldn't think of anything better than doing what I did yesterday. Being a sports couch potato.

Let's start off slow. The USA World Cup soccer team had a World Cup Qualifying match with Barbados Sunday. The final score ended up looking like something out of a EA Sports Fifa World Cup game on PS2 with the level on easy. They should automatically qualify the USA team every year instead of having them play all of these small countries in South America wasting our time. With games like the one yesterday, you kind of understand why the US fails in World Cup play. Not only are the European teams that much better but the US never gets some good competition before World Cup play begins. Anyway, this is soccer and I think I spent way too much time writing about it.

On the Major League Baseball circuit, interleague play was back this weekend with one of the intriguing series taking us back in time, the Boston Red Sox were traveling to Cincinnati to face off against the Reds. How can we not help but to think of that incredible World Series that the Reds won in 7 games when they faced off this weekend? One major story occurred in the Cincinnati locker room when Ken Griffey Jr. was reported to saying that he would veto his no trade clause for a trade to the Tampa Bay Rays. WOW! If I was the Rays I would be on the phone today. The short porch in right field, getting a veteran superstar, and having the DH or 3rd outfield that is desperately needed in your line up can only get the Rays mind racing. Since I have yet to see the Rays play this season, I will be on ebay ASAP if this trade gets done. So Tampa...GET IT DONE!!!

Before the start of the game 5 of the NBA Finals between the Boston Celtic and LA Lakers did you really think that there was any way the Celts were going to win the game. I mean, I know that I wrote the other day that there wasn't a chance in hell of them winning game 4 and they proved me wrong by winning one of the greatest games in Finals history. But, for the NBA to allow the series that everyone wanted to be over in just 5 games, there's no way! I thought that the refereeing was the best last night than any other games in the series thus far, except in the final 2 minutes. There were tickie-tack fouls called on Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce on the defensive end that made me scratch my head. But, the topper was Kobe Bryant's steal from Pierce that ultimately sealed the game for the Lakers that blew my mind. Seeing it live I thought that it was a clean steal and Pierce was just tired but watching it in slow motion was another story. At no point when Kobe reached for the ball from Pierce did he touch the ball, it was all arm, chest, and crotch. But, should we be at all surprised at the outcome, not I! Thanks also to Kevin Garnett, for missing those two free throws down the stretch which didn't help much either. You would think that he would have stepped up to the plate and drove the winning run in after the heat he has endured over the years as not being a clutch player. But he didn't and it is on to Boston for game 6 Tuesday night!

Wasn't watching the final round of the US Open absolutely incredible to view Sunday? Thank god I have the day off today and able to watch the 18 hole playoff between the peoples choice for the weekend Rocco Mediate and a limping Tiger Woods. From hole number 1 all the way through to 18 how could you have turned the station unless you have a brother that had the remote in his hand and he refused to believe you that the US soccer team was going to win. Phil Mickelson disappointed me again this weekend, so what does he do...shoots a 68 on Sunday when he is already out of contention, nice. After I finish this blog I will be parking my butt on the couch watching the playoff probably with a beer in hand...again!

Finally, a real quick update for the College World Series. I watched mostly every game this weekend except the start of the Fresno State/Rice game and the end of the Carolina/LSU game yesterday. Three of the top 4 seeds in the tournament lost their first game this weekend so two teams will be eliminated by Tuesday night. A great match up today features an elimination game between Miami and Florida State at 2 o'clock. These two teams had an incident the last time they played where benches were cleared so today should be interesting. Miami who was my pick to win it all, lost to Georgia Saturday night in the 9th inning after leading the entire game. This was the first loss when leading after 8 innings the Hurricanes had this year...they were 46-0 before that! Tonight's game features Stanford and Georgia with the winner having the upper hand in bracket one. Should be another fun day, feels like another Sunday! Should probably go and get some beer!!!

No comments: