Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Regional ReCap


My predictions for the CWS could have been dumped the very first day, when Miami was trailing Bethune-Cookman in the 6th inning. Everything I knew about college baseball would have fallen right on my face. After the world gotten to see my fearless predictions since it was posted as a "Pick of the Week" on BadChoiceMilk's daily blog. But, instead...Miami came back and won and my picks for the Super Regional round are pretty damn impressive if I say so myself. Out of the 16 teams that advanced to the Supers, I correctly picked 12 of them. Though both of my "sleeper" teams (South Carolina and San Diego) were eliminated in the championship game of the regional round, I still have 6 of the 8 teams alive for the CWS in Omaha. I was lucky enough to go to Jacksonville this weekend and catch most of the Regional Round on their local cable stations which had games all day on Sunday on two stations and one station had the Georgia/Georgia Tech game last night. The Super Regional which starts up this Friday should be pretty exciting with some enticing match ups. The Supers should be televised, so make sure that you don't miss it. Here's a little of what happened this weekend and what to look for this week.


The big story in the Regional round was the play of the ACC teams. Like I posted in my preview the ACC is my favorite conference coming into the CWS and they did not disappoint me. Out of the 16 teams that advanced to the Super Regionals 4 ACC teams made the field (Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, and Florida State). While the SEC who the committee thought was the best conference this year, I remember posting in my preview that they would fall apart in this tournament and again I was correct. Of the 9 teams to make the field of 64 only Georgia and LSU were the ones to advance to the Supers and in my opinion could be gone this weekend.


Another great story that occurred was the play of Fresno State who was the 4th seed in the Long Beach State Regional. They moved on to the Supers by defeating LBS then beating San Diego twice, once yesterday in the Regional Final. Being that this Regional was in the west coast we didn't get to enjoy it but truth be told, Fresno must have been doing something right by beating these two powerhouse teams that most everyone thought would be in Omaha this year.


UC Irvine who made it to Omaha a year ago, probably played the best ball over the weekend by beating Oral Roberts three times and Nebraska once to advance to the Supers against LSU, the nation's hottest team. I would be a little worried if I was LSU especially playing a team like the Anteaters who got most of there team back from a year ago.


Florida State almost didn't make it out of the Regionals again this year. They lost to Bucknell in the first game and had to win 4 straight games to advance to the Supers. In each win, they had to come back from being down early in the game. Is this a good thing or is FSU flirting with being disappointed again? I believe this will be good going into the Supers against a very good Wichita State team. They have had to get through adversity early and now their confidence should be good enough to beat WSU twice to advance to their first CWS in a long time.


The match ups for this weekends best out of three Super Regional round starting June 6 to June 9 is as follows:


Miami vs. Arizona


N.C State vs. Georgia


Cal State Fullerton vs. Stanford


Wichita State vs. Florida State


North Carolina vs. Coastal Carolina


UC Irvine vs. LSU


Rice vs. Texas A&M


Fresno State vs. Arizona State

No comments: